Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint blank plastic plate the same colour as wall?

Options
  • 04-11-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

We are painting our chimney breast which has a standard single socket size white blank plate on it, covering a surround sound outlet that we are not currently utilising. It was not noticeable when the breast was white but now it really stands out.

If I primed the plastic plate, would it successfully take the same paint?

Any advice appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Give it a sand and use some plastic primer on it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Owatrol ESP

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

Thanks, never heard of the stuff, expensive https://www.woodies.ie/owatrol-esp-primer-984903

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Any time I've accidentally got paint on plastic switches or plug sockets it wasn't that easy to remove once dry. Maybe if you were using it, it might wear off through wear, but if it's not being used I'd just paint over it and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Alun wrote: »
    Any time I've accidentally got paint on plastic switches or plug sockets it wasn't that easy to remove once dry. Maybe if you were using it, it might wear off through wear, but if it's not being used I'd just paint over it and see how it goes.

Ya. Maybe give it a rub of a 240 sanding pad first to get a bit of a key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Alun wrote: »

Ya. Maybe give it a rub of a 240 sanding pad first to get a bit of a key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I'm not sure what type of blank plate it is, if it's the same profile and finish as a switch you can always change it to flat one, and then paint.

https://www.eurosales.ie/products/MSCP2.html

I always found these to take the paint better and are much flatter against the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

Would you not consider plastering over it?

Do you think you will ever really need it again? You could leave the wires and recut the hole it if you did ever get hardware that needs it.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement