Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to access flat roof from inside attic with pitched roof

Options
  • 04-11-2020 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a double height extension connected to my house. My attic space is an existing bedroom and if you were to walk out straight out of the attic on the pitched roof side you would be onto the flat roof.
    I have a wall about 3ft high from the floor of the attic and the roof sits on top of it

I'm trying to figure out the best way to access it. A large top hung window would work but most are too small to walk comfortably out onto the roof and due to the wall it would require me to step over the 3ft section

I have seen the Velux terrace system but it is overkill for my needs as I would only need one section of it and it doesn't come in one section.

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/velux-gel-m08-2065-white-painted-terrace-upper-78cm-x-136cm-.html

Ideally the Velux cabrio would be perfect but it does not open out.
    So does anyone else have any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Access it for what purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Car99 wrote: »
    Access it for what purpose?
    To stand on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

seannash wrote: »
    To stand on it

Sun terrace type thing?
    Otherwise, would you not just get a ladder ?

KaneToad wrote: »
    Sun terrace type thing?
    Otherwise, would you not just get a ladder ?

Its two stories up so unfortunately its a bit too high but yeah I'd like that option among others

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the 3 foot wall, is presumably a stud partition along where the roof is held up by rafters dropping to a steel beam in the floor, so you could make a gap in this wall and partition a low "corridor" to a full length top-hung velux maybe?

You'd need to be sure the roof of your extension is strong enough and you'd have to put a railing around it too.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    the 3 foot wall, is presumably a stud partition along where the roof is held up by rafters dropping to a steel beam in the floor, so you could make a gap in this wall and partition a low "corridor" to a full length top-hung velux maybe?

You'd need to be sure the roof of your extension is strong enough and you'd have to put a railing around it too.

Its actually the brick external walls. Its an old house.
    The flat roof was built to take the weight of people working and standing on it so it should be okay. I did think about the corridor alright but I cant seem to find a top hung Velux big enough. The big ones seem to be centre pivot on any of the sites where you can purchase them despite Velux showing one in their brochure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Could you not do a neat spiral staircase from the outside ground up ? Not quite what you want but if you were having people over to BBQ and bathe on your terrace it might be better than through your bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Adding permanent access to a flat roof requires planning permission. Which in turn may require alterations to make it safe.

The fact that workmen could stand on it to work also isn't the same thing as it being suitable for everyday use.

You could find a top hung window large enough to facilitate climbing out, but if a neighbour sees it being used, they could put in a complaint to the council. If you were to damage the roof while using it as a terrace (or someone got injured falling off), your insurance would likely refuse the claim.

For your own sake I wouldn't half-arse this. Apply for planning, get a small dormer-style corridor built to give you access to the roof, and have it properly surfaced and secured.

Could you not do a neat spiral staircase from the outside ground up ? Not quite what you want but if you were having people over to BBQ and bathe on your terrace it might be better than through your bedroom?

Would you believe the footprint of the garden area where we would put that staircase would not be big enough to take it (Hence we want the option to sit on the flat roof)
    We wouldn't be planning on having people on it, really just for ourselves.
    I appreciate all the suggestions though.I guess a glazed roof hatch could work but I cant find one for that specific purpose

seamus wrote: »
    Adding permanent access to a flat roof requires planning permission. Which in turn may require alterations to make it safe.

The fact that workmen could stand on it to work also isn't the same thing as it being suitable for everyday use.

You could find a top hung window large enough to facilitate climbing out, but if a neighbour sees it being used, they could put in a complaint to the council. If you were to damage the roof while using it as a terrace (or someone got injured falling off), your insurance would likely refuse the claim.

For your own sake I wouldn't half-arse this. Apply for planning, get a small dormer-style corridor built to give you access to the roof, and have it properly surfaced and secured.
    I had a feeling someone would be along to say this.

All planning is in place and obviously I'm going to add safety features if and when we establish access to it. I'm simply asking how to get access to it without the dormer as we have already converted the attic previously and dont want to add a dormer. the flat roof was built for everyday use in mind but realistically it'll only be used in good weather at the weekend or If I need access to repair.
    Thanks for the concern but planning permission is not what my query is about. I simply want to know what direction to take and advise my contractor to pursue that particular avenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I had a feeling someone would be along to say this.

All planning is in place and obviously I'm going to add safety features if and when we establish access to it. I'm simply asking how to get access to it without the dormer as we have already converted the attic previously and dont want to add a dormer. the flat roof was built for everyday use in mind but realistically it'll only be used in good weather at the weekend or If I need access to repair.
    Thanks for the concern but planning permission is not what my query is about. I simply want to know what direction to take and advise my contractor to pursue that particular avenue.
    What? You've got planning permission to carry out works and you and your builder dont know how to proceed. All very strange.

What has your architect or engineer advised and what was shown on the plans submitted for planning?

muffler wrote: »
    What? You've got planning permission to carry out works and you and your builder dont know how to proceed. All very strange.

What has your architect or engineer advised and what was shown on the plans submitted for planning?
    We had plans drawn up 4 years ago for the whole house, Attic converted, roof terrace etc etc

We ran out of money to do everything (Very strange indeed) so left the attic as is and just turned it into a room with no access to the outside. We had plans for a dormer but after doing up the room and putting the bathroom in the pitched side that has access to the roof we are now looking at how to do it without putting in a dormer and adding extra expense we simply do not want to incur

I hope that clears it up and puts everyones minds at rest and I welcome suggestions that dont tell me to get planning, ask an architect, safety of a flat roof etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We had plans drawn up 4 years ago for the whole house, Attic converted, roof terrace etc etc

We ran out of money to do everything (Very strange indeed) so left the attic as is and just turned it into a room with no access to the outside. We had plans for a dormer but after doing up the room and putting the bathroom in the pitched side that has access to the roof we are now looking at how to do it without putting in a dormer and adding extra expense we simply do not want to incur

I hope that clears it up and puts everyones minds at rest and I welcome suggestions that dont tell me to get planning, ask an architect, safety of a flat roof etc etc.

So you had plans for a certain thing. Didn't go that thing based on money modified the attic due to money constraints and now want to do a different modified plan.

Stop taking offence to suggestions that you need to look at planning.

Because you do . You aren't compliant to your original submitted plans. And I'd suggest you know this which is why you got irate.

listermint wrote: »
    So you had plans for a certain thing. Didn't go that thing based on money modified the attic due to money constraints and now want to do a different modified plan.

Stop taking offence to suggestions that you need to look at planning.

Because you do . You aren't compliant to your original submitted plans. And I'd suggest you know this which is why you got irate.

I'm not taking offense, I'm well aware of my planning situation. I'm simply asking to put all that aside and suggest how I would accomplish this.

The original attic did not need modification, Its an old house with a large attic space that was formerly a large bedroom and was designated as such. The mains staircase runs right to the top of the house and into the attic space. This was not a conversion.
    I didn't turn it into a dormer which would have given me access to the roof.

Totally fine if you want to hammer home my need for planning but I'd prefer to focus on a solution to my query. And if you want me to concede that I may not be 100% in line with my planning then fine I will concede that to keep the to the topic.

I'm not taking offense, I'm well aware of my planning situation. I'm simply asking to put all that aside and suggest how I would accomplish this.

The original attic did not need modification, Its an old house with a large attic space that was formerly a large bedroom and was designated as such.
    I didn't turn it into a dormer which would have given me access to the roof.

Totally fine if you want to hammer home my need for planning but I'd prefer to focus on a solution to my query. And if you want me to concede that I may not be 100% in line with my planning then fine I will concede that to keep the to the topic.

Then I'd suggest getting a design that would pass planning. Because you can't puts terrace on your roof that will overlook your neighbors regardless of what method you want without a proper design that can get approval. As for the roof that needs to be looked at from a load perspective. You need an engineer / drafts person

Then I'd suggest getting a design that would pass planning. Because you can't puts terrace on your roof that will overlook your neighbors regardless of what method you want without a proper design that can get approval. As for the roof that needs to be looked at from a load perspective. You need an engineer / drafts person

I keep repeating this. I have planning for the roof to be a terrace so overlooking neighbours isn't an issue. It is designed and engineered for the load in the original plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

I would suggest that if you are not going to give the man advice on his original query then people should refrain from the "Spanish Inquisition" and say nothing!

You are ruining his whole thread based on your judgment that what he is doing is wrong, even tough, if there are any ramifications from what he is doing, those ramifications will fall on his/her shoulders.

Ok. The best available advice is to discuss this with your architect/engineer as they will have to design and take responsibility for all structural works

I would suggest that if you are not going to give the man advice on his original query then people should refrain from the "Spanish Inquisition" and say nothing!

You are ruining his whole thread based on your judgment that what he is doing is wrong, even tough, if there are any ramifications from what he is doing, those ramifications will fall on his/her shoulders.

You need to read what I wrote I told him to get professional advice based on what he has said.

So enough of the nonsense about Spanish inquisition or ruining thread. For sure we could all pile in giving him bull**** answers as to what he could do meanwhile he uses a flat roof not fit for purpose.

I don't know about you but I'm not about giving people dangerous advice to make a thread less entertaining for a cheif Kaiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

You need to read what I wrote I told him to get professional advice based on what he has said.

So enough of the nonsense about Spanish inquisition or ruining thread. For sure we could all pile in giving him bull**** answers as to what he could do meanwhile he uses a flat roof not fit for purpose.

I don't know about you but I'm not about giving people dangerous advice to make a thread less entertaining for a cheif Kaiser.

It’s your condescending lectures that I’m objecting to.

He already said his roof is strong enough and is simply looking for advice on the best way to access it. If you can’t offer that, I think you should say nothing and maybe let someone else offer that advice.

• Advertisement

I think you should say nothing and maybe let someone else offer that advice.
    Hmm .. I could say the same.

What advice or suggestions have you offered the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I keep repeating this. I have planning for the roof to be a terrace so overlooking neighbours isn't an issue. It is designed and engineered for the load in the original plans.

OK, that's good. So if you already have an engineer or architect, why not ask them about accessing your terrace.

Surely asking a professional who has already done work for you, whom you already have a relationship with, would be better than a load of no names on an internet forum, by a country mile.

What am I not understanding?

Purgative wrote: »
    OK, that's good. So if you already have an engineer or architect, why not ask them about accessing your terrace.

Surely asking a professional who has already done work for you, whom you already have a relationship with, would be better than a load of no names on an internet forum, by a country mile.

What am I not understanding?

You're probably not understanding the cost associated with hiring an architect to draw up plans for this.

They wont do these things for free and even if I do approach my architect and he offers his services for a nominal fee or even free I'd like to have an idea of what I want.

Architects don't always suggest the best way to do things aesthetically and they might not know every product out there in the market which offers a solution.

I suspect you probably know this but your digging in on the "Seek an architect" advice which is fine

My experience on my build is that I had to stipulate a lot of the features and even methods how to achieve what I want and I suspect this is no different.
    I've spent 10 years as a carpenter so I'm not exactly green to this whole scenario however roofing was not something I'd have tackled on a regular basis.

Also what is the harm in asking people on a forum how people would do this. If I go on the woodworking forum they dont tell me to go speak to a joiner. Not every forum pushes people to seek professional advice on how to achieve something or even the path to take which is what I'm asking. I've already stated I wont be doing the work myself but I would like to know my options on how best to achieve this.
    I guess I was looking for someone to come along and say "Oh have you ever seen this option" but it doesn't look like it. For example, no one has even suggested something like the below picture which might have given me an avenue to look at and I'd even wager my architect may not have suggested it either. Can you see now why I'd like to have an idea of possible solutions to this problem no matter who I choose to seek advice from (Or not)

https://resources.stuff.co.nz/content/dam/images/1/q/e/h/8/b/image.related.StuffLandscapeThreeByTwo.1464x976.1qe8sy.png/1529398004764.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I suspect you probably know this but your digging in on the "Seek an architect" advice which is fine

None taken.

Also what is the harm in asking people on a forum how people would do this. ....

Can you see now why I'd like to have an idea of possible solutions to this problem no matter who I choose to seek advice from (Or not)
    Absolutely but I think you could have started with a little more clarity in what you were after. That's demonstrated by the guy who suggested a ladder umpteen posts up.

Anyway best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hi - some really nasty beligerant posters on here who seem angry that you don’t have a limitless
    pool of money to throw at your house. Whats all that about?

Re spirals I have a double attic problem that I’ve
    been poking at for years! I went a while back
    to visit this showroom - at the time you could order spirals in all kinds of really slender widths to fit almost any space - I’d been used to the ‘standard’ space guzzlers by then but some of theae were real gamechangers.
    Don’t know if its of any use to you but might be worth a look.

http://www.spireco.ie/

Particularly helpful people.

Also - I was looking at windows
    for my house just before the lock up and some of the new incumbents have continental style windows as standard - the ones you can twist the handle aNd they can pivot to open 180• either inwards or outwards ( you choose when you buy) or to just ‘tip’ inside and open a few inches. Might be of interest? Im not sure I’d order across the continent ATM as I’d be afraid of big backlogs or the factory going bust - but if you pay on a credit card you may be insured if anything goes wrong... read your own banks little print first!!

PS - can that Velux be ordered as an outward
    opener? I hadn’t been aware
    that windows and fridge doors could be ordered to
    open differently until I needed to buy one and the sales guy happened to mention it as an afterthought! Might be worth asking.

Best of luck!!

Purgative wrote: »
    None taken.

Absolutely but I think you could have started with a little more clarity in what you were after. That's demonstrated by the guy who suggested a ladder umpteen posts up.

Anyway best of luck.

I don't think I needed anymore clarity. People decided to focus on the flat roof being capable of taking weight, My planning permission, what my architect said about this etc etc and didn't answer the question.

But look I think this thread is dead at this stage. I'll remember to have scans of my planning permission on hand for any other questions I may have

Hi - some really nasty beligerant posters on here who seem angry that you don’t have a limitless
    pool of money to throw at your house. Whats all that about?

Re spirals I have a double attic problem that I’ve
    been poking at for years! I went a while back
    to visit this showroom - at the time you could order spirals in all kinds of really slender widths to fit almost any space - I’d been used to the ‘standard’ space guzzlers by then but some of theae were real gamechangers.
    Don’t know if its of any use to you but might be worth a look.

http://www.spireco.ie/

Particularly helpful people.

Also - I was looking at windows
    for my house just before the lock up and some of the new incumbents have continental style windows as standard - the ones you can twist the handle aNd they can pivot to open 180• either inwards or outwards ( you choose when you buy) or to just ‘tip’ inside and open a few inches. Might be of interest? Im not sure I’d order across the continent ATM as I’d be afraid of big backlogs or the factory going bust - but if you pay on a credit card you may be insured if anything goes wrong... read your own banks little print first!!

PS - can that Velux be ordered as an outward
    opener? I hadn’t been aware
    that windows and fridge doors could be ordered to
    open differently until I needed to buy one and the sales guy happened to mention it as an afterthought! Might be worth asking.

Best of luck!!
    Thanks for that,
    Velux can be ordered top hung but not in a size large enough. As for side hung (Is that the right phrase?) I'm not too sure. I've seen them on their site but I believe they aren't large enough to comfortably get out of.

Advertisement