Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic home gym

Options
  • 04-11-2020 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

New build semi-d, came with 'convertible' attic with MDF subfloor. I converted the attic via a 3rd party builder making no change to the existing 3/4" mdf subfloor. I'm looking to make the converted space into a home office & gym with free weights (bench, barbell, dumbbells) & maybe a rack. Total free weights probably won't exceed 200kg. Developer won't give the attic load bearing details but just says it's good enough to hold a standard bedroom.

Will use gym mats but want to know what the best flooring is to put down on top of the existing subfloor to prevent damage to the ceiling below & minimise sound travel down to the floors beneath?

Eg options that I can see as a complete newbie;
    Option 1: existing 3/4" mdf subfloor + good quality sound deadening carpet underlay (I already have Tredaire Citra 11mm) + carpet + gym mat.
    Option 2: existing 3/4" mdf subfloor + acoustic laminate underlay + laminate
    Option 3: existing 3/4" mdf subfloor + fibre acoustic flooring + another 3/4" MDF floor fitted in opposite direction to subfloor + acoustic laminate underlay (v thin) + laminate (eg 12mm)
    + gym mat (eg Prosource Puzzle Exercise Mat EVA Foam Interlocking Tiles or better).

Should option 1 suffice provided I don't drop weights?
    Between option 1 or 2 which would be better?

Would option 3 (another layer of MDF on top of the existing subfloor) possibly add too much weight?

I know these questions can only really be fully answered by a structural engineer assessment but general guidelines, experiences, advice or product suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Advertisement