Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamps flashing

Options
  • 03-11-2020 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭

In our Sitting room extension which is about 6/7 years old There’s one main light switch which has three dimmers On it. One controls the main centre ceiling light, one the spotlights, and one is connected to some round plug sockets and controls all three lamps in the corners of the room.

We bought new lamps yesterday and are having bother with the lights now. For two of them we changed the plugs to the three round pin plugs from the old lamps. The third one we hadn’t changed yet and that’s plugged in normally and working fine.

The two on the lamp circuit are flashing like crazy when turned on. The bulbs in the lamps are 60w LED bulbs. They say not dimmable on the pack but we didn’t want to be able to dim the lamps anyway so thought that would be ok.
    Would we just need to use dimmable bulbs to stop the flashing or is this a bigger problem? Can’t use the lamps at all now so hoping someone can help! Bought two types of bulbs with same problem and don’t want to go buying more if it’s a problem with the lamps compatibility or the switch itself etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭con747

sillysocks wrote: »
    In our Sitting room extension which is about 6/7 years old There’s one main light switch which has three dimmers On it. One controls the main centre ceiling light, one the spotlights, and one is connected to some round plug sockets and controls all three lamps in the corners of the room.

We bought new lamps yesterday and are having bother with the lights now. For two of them we changed the plugs to the three round pin plugs from the old lamps. The third one we hadn’t changed yet and that’s plugged in normally and working fine.

The two on the lamp circuit are flashing like crazy when turned on. The bulbs in the lamps are 60w LED bulbs. They say not dimmable on the pack but we didn’t want to be able to dim the lamps anyway so thought that would be ok.
    Would we just need to use dimmable bulbs to stop the flashing or is this a bigger problem? Can’t use the lamps at all now so hoping someone can help! Bought two types of bulbs with same problem and don’t want to go buying more if it’s a problem with the lamps compatibility or the switch itself etc.

A quote from the web, "What happens if you put a non dimmable led in dimmer?
    Some of the issues that may occur when a dimmer is incompatible with an LED lamp are: Flickering - Lamps will flicker (can also occur if a non-dimmable lamp is used) ... Dead travel - When the dimmer is adjusted there is no matching change in light output (light may not dim to acceptable level)"
    Either buy dimmable bulbs or change the switch to a normal one.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

con747 wrote: »
    A quote from the web, "What happens if you put a non dimmable led in dimmer?
    Some of the issues that may occur when a dimmer is incompatible with an LED lamp are: Flickering - Lamps will flicker (can also occur if a non-dimmable lamp is used) ... Dead travel - When the dimmer is adjusted there is no matching change in light output (light may not dim to acceptable level)"
    Either buy dimmable bulbs or change the switch to a normal one.

Thanks! It was actually only as I was typing the above that it dawned on me maybe non dimmable bulbs was the problem. Happy to buy dimmable ones if they fix the problem. Don’t need the dimmer but Don’t want the hassle of changing the switch if new bulbs will sort it. Thanks!

Thanks! It was actually only as I was typing the above that it dawned on me maybe non dimmable bulbs was the problem. Happy to buy dimmable ones if they fix the problem. Don’t need the dimmer but Don’t want the hassle of changing the switch if new bulbs will sort it. Thanks!

Just be sure the lamps are ok as well if sticking to dimmers.

Just be sure the lamps are ok as well if sticking to dimmers.

Sorry not sure what you mean by this? I’m assuming the lights are ok as only have the problem with the ones I changed to the round pin plugs. Can there be an issue with some lamps and those plugs?

Sorry not sure what you mean by this? I’m assuming the lights are ok as only have the problem with the ones I changed to the round pin plugs. Can there be an issue with some lamps and those plugs?

I'm just going by the above quote " Lamps will flicker can also occur if a non-dimmable lamp is used" so maybe make sure the lamps are compatible.

• Advertisement

I'm just going by the above quote " Lamps will flicker can also occur if a non-dimmable lamp is used" so maybe make sure the lamps are compatible.

Ah ok, fingers crossed. If not we’ll just change out the switch I think! Thank you .

Strangely, this evening we found a hive bulb that’s dimmable in another light in the house, tried that in one of the lamps and when we had that in one lamp both lights stopping flashing(even though non dimmable was left in one).
    Very odd, assume there’s logic to it somehow. But at least we know now it’s just the bulb issue.

Advertisement