Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO Installation

Options
  • 03-11-2020 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

I got a flier that SIRO is now available in my area and had a question about the installation. I was talking to Digiweb and they gave me this little video.

My electrical box is opposite the foyer by my front door (where my phone line comes in as well). From what I understand it seems SIRO comes in to the electrical box, then there is a subpanel, and then it comes indoors. All the semi-ds in my area would have a similar setup which would make it seem the modem will live in the foyer by the front door which isn't a convenient spot.

Can anyone relate or describe how their SIRO install was done and how much say you had on where the modem would live?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

I got a flier that SIRO is now available in my area and had a question about the installation. I was talking to Digiweb and they gave me this little video.

My electrical box is opposite the foyer by my front door (where my phone line comes in as well). From what I understand it seems SIRO comes in to the electrical box, then there is a subpanel, and then it comes indoors. All the semi-ds in my area would have a similar setup which would make it seem the modem will live in the foyer by the front door which isn't a convenient spot.

Can anyone relate or describe how their SIRO install was done and how much say you had on where the modem would live?
    Siro installers will locate the ONT in a room of your choice you tell them you want it to be
    They will run a cable from outside ESB meter box to the outside wall of the room you require the ONT be installed
    They drill a hole in the outside wall to run cable into the room you want the ONT be placed
    Then install the ONT in that room you request
    You will need 2 power sockets connections in that room
    1 Power socket for the ONT and 1 for the router

The ONT is where the ethernet cable connects to your router
    Eir Phone line has nothing to do with Siro

Siro broadband Phone services the telephone connection is on the back of the router provided by broadband provider you use

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

From what I gather, if you ask the guys that do the installation, they'll usually accommodate you if you want the ONT in a different room than the norm.

We got Digiweb via Siro about a month ago and like you, I wanted the ONT in a different place - My home office which is where all my networking equipment is including the main switch I power the house off. It involved running the fibre cable up the outside wall vertically from the electric meter box about 2/3m and then going through the wall there instead. (See the attached image)

The guys from TLI did it for me no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Bumping this thread as i have a similar question.

I live in a 1960s house where the meter box is inside the front door. The previous owner built on a porch which appears to be covering the existing electricity cables coming into the house. Do the installers specifically need to install or bring the fiber in beside the meter? I'm hoping they'll just run the fiber from the outside electricity pole down the front of the house and stick the ONT on the other side of the wall. Is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

They will run the cable through the duct that your power line comes in so wherever this duct ends is the earliest they can leave the duct.
    Do you have a phone line duct too?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

alan4cult wrote: »
    They will run the cable through the duct that your power line comes in so wherever this duct ends is the earliest they can leave the duct.
    Do you have a phone line duct too?
    When you say duct it’s not underground. Both phone and power lines run down the front of the house and are now behind a porch that was built
    on some years later. So technically the installer won’t be able to follow the current power line.

So what I’m hoping will happen is they’ll run the fibre from the pole directly outside the house, down the wall and in at a new entry point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Yes that is the most likely then.

Advertisement