Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van Tax

Options
  • 03-11-2020 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,
    Thinking of buying a golf van. What documentation do I need to tax it as a commercial. Farm is still in my mothers name and am in the process of applying for a herd number. Will that be enough? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

There are 2 forms. Get the first signed (RF111A I think) at the garda station to declare the vehicle as commercial.

Then form RF100A as usual to pay the tax at the office and bring the signed declaration.

it wasnt difficult when I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There are 2 forms. Get the first signed (RF111A I think) at the garda station to declare the vehicle as commercial.

Then form RF100A as usual to pay the tax at the office and bring the signed declaration.

it wasnt difficult when I did it.

I always have to laugh at this. It varies from country to county. While you have to have the above in Limerick you also need a revenue certificate that you are registered as self employed and that this registration is concurrent is you are sending in accounts. As well the van must be commercially taxed.

Some counties bay be happy with a registered herd or flock number. In OP's case if these rules apply he needs to register as being self employed with revenue

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

clonagh wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thinking of buying a golf van. What documentation do I need to tax it as a commercial. Farm is still in my mothers name and am in the process of applying for a herd number. Will that be enough? Thanks.

Is it not cheaper to tax private, our car is only about €180.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Some counties may look for the insurance cert showing it is insured as a goods vehicle.
    Ring your local tax office

wrangler wrote: »
    Is it not cheaper to tax private, our car is only about €180.

It got to be borderline in the case of more modern cars. However small older vans van be cheaper to buy. Against that CVRT and retests are double the cost of an NCT.I have a 2010 RAV Tax is 390 and I am doing NCT on it next week

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭clonagh

Thanks all, I'll ring my local tax office for their take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You will need to get it weighted at a registered weighbridge before you can get it taxed. There is a form the weighbridge master must fill up. This is only for the first time of you taxing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    You will need to get it weighted at a registered weighbridge before you can get it taxed. There is a form the weighbridge master must fill up. This is only for the first time of you taxing it.

not on light goods

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Some counties may look for the insurance cert showing it is insured as a goods vehicle.
    Ring your local tax office

Another name for commercial insurance

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

not on light goods

Ah, so that saves 20 euro or so.
    Taxed a "new to me" Trooper back in the summer, and was the first time I'd come across it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Ah, so that saves 20 euro or so.
    Taxed a "new to me" Trooper back in the summer, and was the first time I'd come across it.

maybe im wrong . I have an auris van (commercial) and I didn't have to get it weighted before I taxed it. Just a goods declaration form

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ESetter

maybe im wrong . I have an auris van (commercial) and I didn't have to get it weighted before I taxed it. Just a goods declaration form

I was told recently when taxing a berlingo that no need to get it weighed..only required for jeeps and heavier goods vehicles..there is a weight limit but i dont know what it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I think it varies depending on who ever is behind the counter at the tax office on the day. The second last jeep I bought I had to get weighed before I could tax it in my name. The woman behind the desk even sent off the tax book to get the vehicle weight changed as it was different to the weight on the printout from the weighbridge I provided. This was because I had about 150kg of different bits and pieces in the jeep when I got it weighed which weren't considered in the manufacturers calculations.

The last jeep I bought I weighed it at a local feed Mills weighbridge before heading to the tax office. It was a particularly nice summer's day in the middle of a prolonged spell of good weather. This time there was a different woman behind the counter and she was so engrossed in the thoughts of finishing work for the day and heading to the bog that she never asked me for the weighbridge printout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭endainoz

I did the same in clare, had to get a form stamped by guards and brought it to the tax office with an insurance cert for them to copy. No need to have the vehicle weighed for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

clonagh wrote: »
    Hi,

Tax on a commercial van is €333, check the private tax on van first, the saving (if any) may not be worth the hassle plus you'll have to CVRT the van every year from year 1 whereas the NCT is every 2 year from year 4 up to year10 - open to correction on this. Also CVRT is almost double the cost or NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ESetter

monseiur wrote: »
    Tax on a commercial van is €333, check the private tax on van first, the saving (if any) may not be worth the hassle plus you'll have to CVRT the van every year from year 1 whereas the NCT is every 2 year from year 4 up to year10 - open to correction on this. Also CVRT is almost double the cost or NCT

i dont think you can NCT a commercial van,,even though its private tax. As far as i know it has to be DOE'd every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭tanko

ESetter wrote: »
    i dont think you can NCT a commercial van,,even though its private tax. As far as i know it has to be DOE'd every year.

Yeah, i've never seen a van in an NCT centre.

Advertisement