Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleague out of work for months, wondering about return

Options
  • 03-11-2020 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t wanna sound insensitive but my colleague went off sick when her partner got a bad diagnosis months ago. Every couple of weeks, we were given a new return date for her and told “she’s agreed to come back on X date.” That date was sometimes the following Monday, sometimes the following month. Her partner passed two months ago and still there’s no date for when they’re coming back.

From her friends in work, we’re expecting it’ll be the New Year at the earliest, but she’s still giving my manager dates that aren’t going to happen.

It’s great that my employer is accommodating, I know, but it’s not great for my colleague and myself who were told they couldn’t hire a temp because they were coming back on X date. We’ve been trying to cover their job from home alongside doing our own jobs and I just feel worn out.

Does anyone know how long people are usually out after a partner passes before the manager has to tell them to come back or lose their job, or is that even a thing? Obviously it’s awful and my heart goes out to my colleague, but at the same time, I’m exhausted from hearing from my manager that they can’t get w temp because she’s coming back.

Advertisement