Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap feed Troughs in slatted house

Options
  • 03-11-2020 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

hi all, usually throw meal on the ground in front of barrier, but weanlings aren't too keen on it, were eating well outside, thinking of buying that corri pipe to cut in half to feed from, anyone else do it? how does it sit?
    i see homeland have the ends [URL="ttps://www.homeland.ie/farming/animal-equipment/drinkers-feeders/77565/feed-trough-end"]ttps://www.homeland.ie/farming/animal-equipment/drinkers-feeders/77565/feed-trough-end[/URL]
    i want to keep this as simple as possible as it's only to get them started eating again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TalkingBull

jfh wrote: »
    hi all, usually throw meal on the ground in front of barrier, but weanlings aren't too keen on it, were eating well outside, thinking of buying that corri pipe to cut in half to feed from, anyone else do it? how does it sit? https://www.homeland.ie/farming/animal-equipment/drinkers-feeders/77565/feed-trough-end
    i see homeland have the ends
    i want to keep this as simple as possible as it's only to get them started eating again

fixed your link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

It seems strange that they won't eat it inside. Are you giving them the same meal now as they were getting outside? A change of meal can put them off for a day or two. I'd say if you leave it there long enough, they'll eat it eventually.
    The pipe should work alright, but it's expensive enough. The price in your link is for one end. You'll need 4 of them when you cut the pipe in half, and you have to buy the pipe too...
    Plastic barrels cut in half (the same way you mean to cut the pipe) are a great job. I have them here for years. Can be used inside or outside, and are indestructible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I would second the plastic barrels cut in half, very handy, plus if you forget to take them out they are light weight enough for the cattle to nose them out of the way. I have a 12 mm hole drilled in either end to let any water out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

Well I'm throwing the meal down where they eat the silage in the feeding passage, think I'd get away with just the pipe cut in half and leave the ends off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Well I'm throwing the meal down where they eat the silage in the feeding passage, think I'd get away with just the pipe cut in half and leave the ends off
    just push the silage back from the feedwall and throw down the meal on the feed passage if there hungry they will eat it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I made up ends for pipe troughs from 2" thickness timber cut in a half moon shape with a jigsaw and screwed into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

hi all, usually throw meal on the ground in front of barrier, but weanlings aren't too keen on it, were eating well outside, thinking of buying that corri pipe to cut in half to feed from, anyone else do it? how does it sit?
    i see homeland have the ends [URL="ttps://www.homeland.ie/farming/animal-equipment/drinkers-feeders/77565/feed-trough-end"]ttps://www.homeland.ie/farming/animal-equipment/drinkers-feeders/77565/feed-trough-end[/URL]

Use them here (insde and out) handy not having to pull silage out from barrier, birds destroy silage if feed thrown directly on silage, for ends i cut a slot on inside of pipe ( through last corrugation ) and slip in plastic cut to fit ( lids of mineral buckets cut in half ideal) I also cut each length in 3, find it handier to move around outside. Half inch rebar fits neatly into corrugation on outside if you want to make frame or legs ( stops them rolling over)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’d continue throwing it on the ground. Feed all here on the ground or on top of silage. Those yolks are extra work. Every time you go to bring in silage or bales you’ll have to move them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cattle are very adaptable.
    Keep things simple.
    Keep at it and they will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭endainoz

I used blue barrels inside the gates in the shed. Weanlings were used to them from getting started in nuts in the field during the summer. Cheapest trough you'll ever make is out of the plastic barrels. JFC have enough money

• Advertisement

They're were eating a bit better this evening so will stick with the ground for now, but if I have to feed ctc powder, I think I'll make them out of 12 inch corri pipe, they'd be handy for feeding sheep outside too. Thanks for all the feedback some good ideas there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

They're were eating a bit better this evening so will stick with the ground for now, but if I have to feed ctc powder, I think I'll make them out of 12 inch corri pipe, they'd be handy for feeding sheep outside too. Thanks for all the feedback some good ideas there

Maybe go. 18 inch. If too narrow a pipe they'll dribble out more when the lift there heads to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

I have bolted barrels cut in half together length ways and cut a hand hole for dragging them. They are on the go for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Your cattle are spoiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I never feed stores ration over the winter. I feed finishing cattle alright or weanling. I have had no weanlings for years. Finally shiny cattle I use blue barrels cut in half. I use them out in the field as well. If you cut blue barrels in half make sure to cut across the holes. This give you a grip when moving them especially in a field where you may be moving them a distance

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dunlopwellies

I wouldn't be gone of that corri pipe. Would the cattle not break them up.
    Have used them outside for sheep not a good job either. They are alright for a while but the corrugation will bill with water freeze and break down or the sheep will stand in them and break up they don't last long atall.

Screenshot_20201104-210358_DoneDeal.jpg

Use these type of galvanised ones now for sheep much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I wouldn't be gone of that corri pipe. Would the cattle not break them up.
    Have used them outside for sheep not a good job either. They are alright for a while but the corrugation will bill with water freeze and break down or the sheep will stand in them and break up they don't last long atall.

Screenshot_20201104-210358_DoneDeal.jpg

Use these type of galvanised ones now for sheep much better.

Cattle will keep tipping those galvo steel troughs over, the ration or nut will fly all over the place

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Got the corri troughs from JFC, very handy with handle on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ESetter

I find that cattle step into the half blue barrells when feeding and meal goes everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Any of the lighter troughs need to be against a wall, barrier or by a gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dunlopwellies

Cattle will keep tipping those galvo steel troughs over, the ration or nut will fly all over the place

Of course, these ones I use for sheep I ment to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭50HX

Dril a hole 3 feet from either end and bolt on a leg to stop trough from tipping over if using it in full length

Would agree that 12" is too small but you've a big jump then in money going 15/18"

I made four 5ft troughs out of a 15".....works well and easy to move

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I find the blue plastic barrels cut in half a great job. They never rust and when the cattle are finished with them, they somehow manage to roll them over so they stay clean. If you are cutting them, use a jigsaw. I was cutting one recently with a small grinder and thin disc and the disc shattered. Scary stuff and I was careful using it. The disc melts the plastic anyway.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I find the blue plastic barrels cut in half a great job. They never rust and when the cattle are finished with them, they somehow manage to roll them over so they stay clean. If you are cutting them, use a jigsaw. I was cutting one recently with a small grinder and thin disc and the disc shattered. Scary stuff and I was careful using it. The disc melts the plastic anyway.

The most important thing is wash out the blue barrels before you do anything,a friend lord rest him was killed when a barrel exploded when cutting with a grinder

I was feeding a bullock with one of these, but I felt he ate better of the height of a trough with legs.
    Good to know about the grinder tho

Advertisement