Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Words ...

Options
  • 03-11-2020 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭

Learnt a new word today -

dysphemism

Meaning a derogatory or unpleasant term used instead of a pleasant or neutral one.

So describes something like 'ye frckers'

Anyone else got any other interesting words - :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

gozunda wrote: »
    Learnt a new word today -

dysphemism

Meaning a derogatory or unpleasant term used instead of a pleasant or neutral one.

So describes something like 'ye frckers'

Anyone else got any other interesting words - :pac:

I googled it for examples: "These are examples of dysphemism: Snail mail for postal mail, Cancer stick in reference to a cigarette. Egghead for genius. Worm food for dead."

we have been using it all along without realising: "he got a navy blue" for a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Brown bread = dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Two I can think of straight away which I love are 'Petrichor'- the smell of the air after a dry spell followed by rain. That's one which has a scientific base behind it but not bothered googling it!

And leaping over a language here 'tsundoku' which is a person who collects loads of books & reading materials but never gets around to reading them all before buying more. I've a terrible habit of doing that.

I love words. I'll be in this thread a lot if it stays active :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I learned a new word yesterday.

A 'Guggy' egg.

It's an egg or eggs in a mug..

• Advertisement

A 'Guggy' egg.

Cheeky.....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sounds fecken weird :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Guggy egg, haven't heard that word in years !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

A 'Guggy' egg.

Years since I heard that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My new word - Malakia. Its the Greek for Sh1te.
    Had to laugh at this as my Grandmother used to call cat's poo , cat's Malaka.
    Well, they do say all languages are related. :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sG1IH1vCvko&list=FLlDUYWg4lJYkQS-VwtsR7mQ&index=14

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sG1IH1vCvko&list=FLlDUYWg4lJYkQS-VwtsR7mQ&index=14

Ah we used that term growing up as well. Haven't heard it in years!

Anthropomorphising - to attribute human form or personality to things not human or inanimate objects.

Example: my pet rock looks sad today.

Robbed from the real Irish Donald Trump in the vegan forum.

Thats a good one NcdJd

Some great idioms that online dictionaries now give you :pac:

For example:

Deranged"

(as) mad as a hatter/March hare 
    around the bend 
    bat**** crazy
    battle-scarred
    crackers
    disturbed
    gaga
    have bats in the belfry
    whack job

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Dogs malakey and cats malogen
    Put them together and get an expolsion.

Anyone remember that ditty from your school days?

Gimbal - a device for keeping an instrument such as a compass or chronometer horizontal in a moving vessel or aircraft, typically consisting of rings pivoted at right angles.

No idea what led me to this video, but saw the word in one of the comments.

https://twitter.com/DannyDutch/status/1297267633289560064?s=20

NcdJd wrote: »
    Gimbal - a device for keeping an instrument such as a compass or chronometer horizontal in a moving vessel or aircraft, typically consisting of rings pivoted at right angles.

No idea what led me to this video, but saw the word in one of the comments.

https://twitter.com/DannyDutch/status/1297267633289560064?s=20

Haha

Reminds me of these :D

The second one is a cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Crocked Hilary, Sleepy Joe, China virus, Fake news, TWSS, EWSS, N factor, lockdown......I wish I never herd of any of them..:mad:

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Crocked Hilary, Sleepy Joe, China virus, Fake news, TWSS, EWSS, N factor, lockdown......I wish I never herd of any of them..:mad:

Wasn't there murder hornets at some stage this year too?

Nihilist - One who believes in nothing, maintaining that life has no meaning and rejecting all moral and religious values as well as political and social institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Nihilist - One who believes in nothing, maintaining that life has no meaning and rejecting all moral and religious values as well as political and social institutions.

Sounds like most of the irish population.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Wasn't there murder hornets at some stage this year too?

Yeah I read reports of them in the US. They managed to get rid of the first reported nest there by using giant hoover type device to suck them all up. Really frightening yokes - they can sting and also spit vemon :eek:

In biology they are hymenopteran or hymenopteron

Meaning "insects having two pairs of membranous wings and an ovipositor specialized for stinging or piercing"

I'd just call them evil cnuts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shawnee Poole

Any relation of Nihil Obstat that used to sign off all of the prayer books years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭kk.man

Here's one that really bugs me 'the home farm' meaning not the other farm. This term has been used widely in last few years. In all my time farming I'd refer to it as 'the home place'. I don't know how it crept into farmers speak.

kk.man wrote: »
    Here's one that really bugs me 'the home farm' meaning not the other farm. This term has been used widely in last few years. In all my time farming I'd refer to it as 'the home place'. I don't know how it crept into farmers speak.

Reminds me of the usage of the term "the back kitchen"

Lots of older houses had a "back kitchen" - seems to be disappearing somewhat.

Do any new houses have a "back kitchen"?

I was actually trying to explain the 'back kitchen' in my house to an Indian friend earlier. Had to use the word scullery to get the understanding across :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

'grape' a four pronged farm implement used for handling silage, straw, dung etc..
    'pike' just like a grape but with just 2 prongs, mostly used for hay, straw and chasing dept inspectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

'grape' a four pronged farm implement used for handling silage, straw, dung etc..
    'pike' just like a grape but with just 2 prongs, mostly used for hay, straw and chasing dept inspectors.

Now,now ,now,everyone knows its a sprong that has 4 grains whilst the thing with 2 grains is a pitchfork.
    There is a sprong, a beet sprong and a potato sprong.
    Only implement I don't know what the correct name for is the 3 grained thing but then again never had one here.
    A pike is the thing the Boys of Wexford pulled from the thatch in the Summer of 1798.
    A grape is a fruit wine is made from.

gozunda wrote: »
    Reminds me of the usage of the term "the back kitchen"

Lots of older houses had a "back kitchen" - seems to be disappearing somewhat.

Do any new houses have a "back kitchen"?

It hasn't disappeared, just renamed "utility room". as is the "piss pot" replaced by an "en suite".

• Advertisement

It hasn't disappeared, just renamed "utility room". as is the "piss pot" replaced by an "en suite".

Remember when I was growing up most of the houses around our area including my grandfather's house had no indoor toilet. It was a little shed outside with a latch on the door and a large bucket with toilet seat on it. That was our "ensuite"!

Septic tank was a large hole out in the field where you'd get rid of it and cover over with some clay !

Advertisement