Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer reference from landlord when starting new job?

Options
  • 02-11-2020 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi all,

In the process of looking for a place to rent as I am relocating for a new job. In terms of references, how do people in this situation provide employer references? I have handed in my notice to my current job and don’t start the new one until the end of November. Would a prospective landlord accept an employment contract and be understanding of the situation? I’m sorted for previous landlord references.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

I would say it depends; on the landlord or agent, on how badly they need a tenant etc

It's possible the landlord would look at you starting a new job as you not having as much job certainty and therefore, as a ll, lacking certainty on you having the means to pay rent (what if you don't pass probation, don't like the job,..). So from a LL's perspective I imagine the risk to be slightly higher meaning you're prob lower on the list of preferred tenants.

Not sure where you are looking and whether or not the rental properties in that area are seeing a lot of interest.. as LL's maybe more risk adverse if they have people lining up

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

We are trying to move to the midlands. I find that I am sending queries to landlords and agencies and barely receiving any replies. I thought that there would be more choice outside the cities (less competition) but it appears not.

Advertisement