Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chisels

Options
  • 02-11-2020 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend a decent brand of chisel?
    I have a pain in my you-know-what using cheap chisels that won't stay sharp

Comments

Bench work or a bit of everything? Single sizes or a set? Budget?

Narex Richter are excellent. Deserving of the praise. Specifically the Richter ones. Not suitable for heavy handed work, but a great option if you'd like nice tools with superb edge retention. Can be bought in sets of 5 or 7, or in individual sizes from Fine Tools or Workshop Heaven. One thing to note is that the Richter chisels are true imperial/fractional inch sizing, not metric equivalents.

If you need a set of beaters, the regular Narex are alright, but a bit rough around the edges. Those are usually metric sizes and technically a bevel edge 'firmer' chisel. Cheap enough to beat the crap out of them if needed. I wouldn't worry much about battering into a hard knot with them, as I might with a nicer chisel. I like their mortise chisels from this range for this reason too. You won't find them cheaper than you will from Fine Tools, although postage adds a bit of course.

I'd not overlook some vintage Stanley 5002's, the real bevel edged ones, not the ones they've made for the past 20 or so years. The original type are actually a fine chisel, easy to sharpen and hold a keen edge for general use at the workbench. I have a set and wouldn't part with them. If you can find a few nice ones they're worth having, despite what the instagram snobs might think. Don't overpay for them. €10-12 each is about the right price to pay for good ones with flat backs, no rust or pitting. They'll last a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

i would add the "two cherries" brand to the above nice chisels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Thanks
    Just looking for a small set for regular bench work
    Will have a look at your recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bamayang

boomdocker wrote: »
    Thanks
    Just looking for a small set for regular bench work
    Will have a look at your recommendations

If you’re on a budget don’t go past Aldi chisels. They’re about €10 and they’re surprisingly good. Not very pretty, but hold an edge very well. Check out paul sellars review on them.

But the ones suggested above are better and much much more beautiful.

Advertisement