Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent-related tax back question

Options
  • 02-11-2020 6:39pm

I'm filling out a form to see if I have tax I can get refunded.

One of the sections involves listing details for all tenancies I held since 2010 (there are quite a few).

Is there a way to get old details of landlords? I'm finding it impossible to remember the name of the first landlord I had when I left college.
    I have no records of it in emails etc. I checked the PRTB register and the address isn't registered on it so either it was never registered or it's been deregistered.

Any ideas on how to recover this landlord's details?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

No tax relief on rent anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

I actually came here to ask the same question. I know the scheme finished in 2017 but colleague advised I should still claim for 2016/2017 as its within the 4 years. Is this correct? Im kicking myself that I never did it while it was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

snowgal wrote: »
    I actually came here to ask the same question. I know the scheme finished in 2017 but colleague advised I should still claim for 2016/2017 as its within the 4 years. Is this correct? Im kicking myself that I never did it while it was available.

16 and 17 still available for claims.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/land-and-property/rent-credit/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Nobody would get rich on the amount of tax relief due on paying rent, so don't feel too bad at missing out on previous years.

To be able to claim for 2016 and 2017, you would have had to be renting on 7 December 2010 - the idea being that someone who was already in a rental agreement could continue to get tax relief, on a reducing scale for a number of years, but someone who was beginning to rent for the first time after that date did not qualify for relief.

That is probably why the OP is trying to get the details of their previous landlords. I think Revenue would accept a claim that had as much information as the tenant could provide, so long as it was pretty evident that they had been renting for many years, and before that cut-off date.

Sounds like an agency is asking the OP to provide the details so that they can ascertain if tax is due back.

Advertisement