Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is re-doing a table top a job for some one?

Options
  • 02-11-2020 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

She who shall not be named put a towel on our dining table and proceded to do some ironing. The heat went through the clothes and towel and caused the surface to turn white. Don't think it's through to the wood, but not sure. Wouldn't be economical to dip. Would fixing this be a job somebody would do or would it be too small a job. It's not an overly expensive table but it's nice and would rather not have to replace it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,540 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IIRC the milkiness is caused by moisture trapped in whatever the coating on the table surface is.
    i have read that - ironically - ironing the table again with a dry towel between the table and the iron can drive the moisture out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,540 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

A picture of the damage:

531494.jpg

worth trying the hairdryer trick on it first i suspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

and if you are brave you could do the burning meths trick dab some meths on a small area with cotton wool and the set light to the meths it drives out the moisture without damaging the finish on the table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

HW61
    Along the same line but a more comprehensive take on MB’s - BHG link.

The use of methylated spirit and an open flame is discussed in # 25.
    Good luck

Take a look here:
    https://www.mountainwoodworker.com/articles/Tips_for_Removing_Water_Stains_from_Wood.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I've nothing to lose now so will give those suggestions a try. If nothing works I'll try the fire trick. Not hopful, but maybe it'll work.

Advertisement