Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattle Tags

Options
  • 02-11-2020 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Near that time of the year again.
    Whats the consensus on tag suppliers now that were a few years in.
    Looking at
    - Application
    - sample (easy to do and empty samples)
    - longevity (do they loose many)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

satstheway wrote: »
    Looking at
    - Application

Moved to cormac two years ago, tired of replacing mullinhone tags,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Looking at
    - Application

Cormac all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Cormac all day long

Cormac all year long

Dunedin wrote: »
    Cormac all year long

I also find the tags go into the ear a lot easier and there is the one system for both tags whereas with mullinahone you have to take out the pin in the tagger for doing one of the tags (think it’s the sample tag - at least that’s the way it was a few years ago when I was using them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

How do the cormac tags rate for capturing bvd samples? Do ye have any blanks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

leex wrote: »

This was our first year using Cormac tags (always Mullinahone) and I captured all BVD samples even though I was trying to get used to the tagger. They are far more robust design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

leex wrote: »

I had one blank in total while using the Mullinahone tags but I'm getting a good few every year with Cormac.

I had one blank in total while using the Mullinahone tags but I'm getting a good few every year with Cormac.

I don’t ever remember having hardly any blank mullinahone. Have had 2 in 3 years with Cormac (from 20 calves per year).

Still a hell of lot easier re-tag the odd calf as opposed to 7 or 8 mullinahone tags every year across the full herd. Not to mention one time I sent a cow to the factory. There happened to be about 5 lads in the yard when the lad came to collect her. Anyways an hour later got call that the cow was on the way home as she had no tag in her. Hard to believe that between myself and the haulier and the other 5 fellas that none of us copped the tags.

Dunedin wrote: »
    I don’t ever remember having hardly any blank mullinahone. Have had 2 in 3 years with Cormac (from 20 calves per year).

Still a hell of lot easier re-tag the odd calf as opposed to 7 or 8 mullinahone tags every year across the full herd. Not to mention one time I sent a cow to the factory. There happened to be about 5 lads in the yard when the lad came to collect her. Anyways an hour later got call that the cow was on the way home as she had no tag in her. Hard to believe that between myself and the haulier and the other 5 fellas that none of us copped the tags.

I wouldn't disagree with that, easier to retag a calf than having to round up a cow and into the crush to retag her. What I lose in retesting calves, I gain back and more in having the cows tags stay intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

So you are having less retags with cormac.
    Never had an empty sample here but the cows are losing tags at a rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Tortured here with cows losing tags, with mullinahone a long time now, was considering moving to cormac but reports of BVD blanks put me off.

Tortured here with cows losing tags, with mullinahone a long time now, was considering moving to cormac but reports of BVD blanks put me off.

I would say make the move this year and make up your own mind re the empties. I'm amazed to hear people having blanks with Cormac as I've never had a problem with them. If your tagging them any way correctly, at the very worst you'll have a couple to retest so worth trying them for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    I would say make the move this year and make up your own mind re the empties. I'm amazed to hear people having blanks with Cormac as I've never had a problem with them. If your tagging them any way correctly, at the very worst you'll have a couple to retest so worth trying them for yourself.

Except for haveing to buy taggers expecially. Better if you could borrow taggers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

had 1 empty with Cormac and it was my own fault , just make sure the cutting disc is on the tag before you commence tagging , they usually enclose a spare 1 or 2 with each batch

no fukacting trying to get the sample into the capsule and then closing it , it's ready to post from the tagger , the samples are much smaller and lighter for posting , they sell a wrist band for holding the samples and well wothwhile getting 1 'cos if it falls into a straw bedded floor , you'll have some trouble finding it

the tags are lighter and more flexible so don't drag down a new born calf's ears as much, and large numbers on the rear are easier to read from behind the animal

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Just finished my order and changed to Cormac. Had to get a restriction lifted on how many I could order to get my tagger free, One call sorted that. I never knew they had a restriction based on last 3 years EU thing apparently.

Just finished my order and changed to Cormac. Had to get a restriction lifted on how many I could order to get my tagger free, One call sorted that. I never knew they had a restriction based on last 3 years EU thing apparently.

yeah , think it's + 20 or 25% , of waht your used

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Fed up with calves tearing out their tags and ruining their ears.
    Going to get the ones with the smaller flags next year and see if they makes any difference.

I think I may have posted it in the chitchat thread but Cormac are offering 5 free tags with every order until the 15th of this month as a thank you to customers after winning some business award so that might make it a bit easier on pockets as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Switched to cormac 3 years ago but will reserve judgement on how long the tags last as it's the cows lose tags as opposed to young stock so will see. On the BVD tag front have found they are way better, have had very few empties compared to mulinahone and much easier job as well. Sample bottles are small so can fit a good few into the envelope for the post but they are easy lost also if dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Micey.ie

I think I may have posted it in the chitchat thread but Cormac are offering 5 free tags with every order until the 15th of this month as a thank you to customers after winning some business award so that might make it a bit easier on pockets as well.

Minimum order is 50 tags to get the 5 free tagsðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Micey.ie wrote: »
    Minimum order is 50 tags to get the 5 free tagsðŸ˜

There had to be a catch, didn't there:(

Apologies, I was just going on the tweet they sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Micey.ie

There had to be a catch, didn't there:(

Apologies, I was just going on the tweet they sent out.

It was same with the free taggers had to order 50 tags,I ordered 80 tags off them for 3 different herd and they wouldn’t give me free taggers-50 tags had to be from same Herd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Fed up with calves tearing out their tags and ruining their ears.
    Going to get the ones with the smaller flags next year and see if they makes any difference.
    We buy in and rear a good few calves every year and we never have a problem with them tearing out tags. Do you have sheep wire in the paddocks/fields where the calves are.

Base price wrote: »
    We buy in and rear a good few calves every year and we never have a problem with them tearing out tags. Do you have sheep wire in the paddocks/fields where the calves are.

What she said

I'd be looking at what pulling the tags and rectify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

All fields are done with sheep wire. Its only a problem when they are young.

I'll be looking to try these on the right along with a button before re-fencing the whole place. I just think that the larger flags on small calves irritate and annoy them more.

C4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

Has anyone tried Datamars tags or know anything about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

orm0nd wrote: »
    had 1 empty with Cormac and it was my own fault , just make sure the cutting disc is on the tag before you commence tagging , they usually enclose a spare 1 or 2 with each batch

no fukacting trying to get the sample into the capsule and then closing it , it's ready to post from the tagger , the samples are much smaller and lighter for posting , they sell a wrist band for holding the samples and well wothwhile getting 1 'cos if it falls into a straw bedded floor , you'll have some trouble finding it

the tags are lighter and more flexible so don't drag down a new born calf's ears as much, and large numbers on the rear are easier to read from behind the animal

I agree that it has always been a nuisance getting the sample into to Mullinahone capsule.
    Oddly, I received Email from Mullinahone on Sunday reminding me to order Tags and one of their selling points is that they have a New User Friendly BVD Tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,209 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I stayed with mullinahone. In fairness I lost 2 calf tags this year out of 180. One was in sheep wire and the other the young lad pulled the tag through the ear when tagging. Had 2 empties. They are cheaper than cormac and have improved in quality alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

whelan2 wrote: »
    I stayed with mullinahone. In fairness I lost 2 calf tags this year out of 180. One was in sheep wire and the other the young lad pulled the tag through the ear when tagging. Had 2 empties. They are cheaper than cormac and have improved in quality alot.

I stayed with them too. And I agree they have def improved...

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    They had to up their game when the competition arrived or they would be out of the tag business altogether. They had the entire market to themselves, no advertising required, but they became too lax with there standards a few years back.

Advertisement