Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooring air gap to wall

Options
  • 02-11-2020 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Along the run of our tongue & grooved flooring, there's an gap to the wall of varying sizes, maximum 1", all behind the skirting (removed at present)

Should I fill this gap with expanding foam, and would the foam allow for any floor expansion?

Do concrete floored houses have a similar gap (I wouldn't think so)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,689 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tiger31 wrote: »
    Along the run of our tongue & grooved flooring, there's an gap to the wall of varying sizes, maximum 1", all behind the skirting (removed at present)

Should I fill this gap with expanding foam, and would the foam allow for any floor expansion?

Do concrete floored houses have a similar gap (I wouldn't think so)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

It should be left open. Why is it an air gap ? What's behind or below it that makes you think it's an air gap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

There should be a gap of around 1-1.5cm between the edge of your flooring and the wall. This is to allow for expansion during temperature and humidity changes.

1" is excessive but as long as the skirting covers the gap then there is no issue, unless there is a draught coming through the gap.

If there is a gap then yes you can try and fill it with expanding foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tiger31

@Listermint, it looks like untidy plastering finish from day one, with a varying gap size. the house is about 60 years old. There is underfloor ventilation, and there is a slight but constant draught through.

@Broken Arrows. Yes there is a draught, so I'll go with your suggestion.

Thanks Listermint and BrokenArrows for your comments. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,689 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ah I see. Unless the rest of the floor has been sealed across then it might be wasted time sealing that. However draught can often get behind plasterboard from open wall vents.i.e they have no pipe across the cavity. Just open vent either side into the cavity. I'd check that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Yes it should be air sealed.
    A proper job would be to lift the t&g boards, insulate between joists, air tighten over joists and this air barrier sealed to all walls behind the skirting. Then refit t&g boards / skirting.
    If that's a bit optimistic for your skillset and assuming some form of floor covering is to be laid over the boards, then apply an air tight membrane first (sealed to the walls behind the skirting) before new floor covering.
    If any of the above is not a runner, the gap should be air sealed anyway ... every little helps:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tiger31

@MicktheMan. Lifting the floor boards as you suggest would be best, but for this job, we have laminate laid over t & g, so we'll go with sealing behind the skirting. Thanks for your advice all the same.

Advertisement