Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red kite or a Buzzard?

Options
  • 01-11-2020 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Yesterday when I was out with my dog a bird of prey flew quite low past me. It was a red to light brown colour.
    I presumed it was a red kite but now that I've seen how rare it is and because I'm in the North West I'm wondering how similar in colouration can a Buzzard be?
    I've seen a Buzzard up very close before but the I seen yesterday bird looked much redder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭blackbox

A red kite has a forked tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

blackbox wrote: »
    A red kite has a forked tail.

Crap, I was looking that hard at the wings and chest I've no idea what the tail was like. Hopefully I'll see it again as it was very close to home

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I saw a red kite in the start of hilly country just outside Oughterard, Co. Galway a number of years ago. So, possible to see them in the west anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dympnab

How big was the bird? could have been a female Sparrowhawk or even a Kestrel ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

dympnab wrote: »
    How big was the bird? could have been a female Sparrowhawk or even a Kestrel ..

I used to have a sparrowhawk regularly fly a few feet off the ground down the little back road I lived on jacking the little birds it'd flush out of the hedge.
    I also had a Buzzard fly straight at my car (I was only one 2nd gear) only to very off at the last second and land on a branch about 10 ft away. The bird I seen on sat was a similar size to the Buzzard

• Advertisement
Advertisement