Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robert Fisk RIP

Options
  • 01-11-2020 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

RIP . He will be missed.

Aged 74. His work in the middle east was remarkable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Used to love his interviews on The Last Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A long term critic of US foreign policy. He will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭del roy

RIP, Didn't know he was sick, god bless his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    RIP . He will be missed.

What? Where did you see this.

I always admired him. He was a regular on the Pat Kenny Newstalk show, well they both lived in Dalkey.

His house is on Vico Road, gorgeous spot.

If he has gone, may he RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Awww :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

A massive loss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

RIP . He will be missed.

Aged 74. His work in the middle east was remarkable.

Very sorry to hear that. Excellent journalist who was very concise and knowledgeable on all issues relating to the Middle East.
    RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Oh no. Loved reading his stuff. So knowledgeable

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A middle East expert for sure. Underrated also in some ways. Sad to hear this.

A significant loss, he leaves an impressive legacy behind him. A rational and objective voice in a sea of partisan hackery. RIP Robert.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sad to hear this.

Great journalist who told it like it is in regards to the middle East

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

RIP, called it how he saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Oh no. Great writer and journalist. RIP

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

He interviewed Bin Laden before he was popular in the west. Even though OBL was probably very popular with the CIA over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

damn, I can't believe it. So many legends being lost.

74 not exactly young but I'd have hoped for a few more years, I heard him speaking about Trump and the middle east same as ever on the radio only a few months ago. Think about how this is three years younger than one of the presidential candidates is going IN to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Very sad, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

damn, I can't believe it. So many legends being lost.

74 not exactly young but I'd have hoped for a few more years, I heard him speaking about Trump and the middle east same as ever on the radio only a few months ago.

Ten years younger than our median covid deaths. food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Rip... One of the last of a dying breed, a journalist who was on the ground not waiting for the latest pr release or tweet. He went and sought out what was happening in the world rather that wait for "what the news should be"to be fed to him. A proper journalist who had his biases for sure but at least they were his biases after doing his own research

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Rip... One of the last of a dying breed, a journalist who was on the ground not waiting for the latest pr release or tweet. He went and sought out what was happening in the world rather that wait for "what the news should be"to be fed to him. A proper journalist who had his biases for sure but at least they were his biases after doing his own research

Well put.

• Advertisement

Ten years younger than our median covid deaths. food for thought.

Might have been covid that killed him, it's one of or the biggest cause of death for that age range. I can't imagine an intrepid reporter like Fisk sitting at home and isolating himself from others to avoid it during his final years of mobility.

probably my favourite journalist.

Might have been covid that killed him, it's one of or the biggest cause of death for that age range. I can't imagine an intrepid reporter like Fisk sitting at home and isolating himself from others to avoid it during his final years of mobility.

he had a stroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭CharlesMartel

Hid did have his biases alright. always Israel's fault, even when it was not, and before you all jump on my, Israel is no angel.
    A great reporter but I think this spectator article sums my opinion of him up nicely, "great reporter, lously prophet." He just did not see the rise of Islamism and Wahabasim because he bought completely in to the American is the great satan narrative

he had a stroke.

Thanks for the information but I hope you don't seriously think that rules out covid. Covid causes strokes even in young people, never mind at risk people:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422(20)30272-6/fulltext

Rarely does a single death impact an entire profession.

Impossible for me to put into words my admiration for Mr. Fisk.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

His brilliant ' The great war for civilisation' was an incredible story on the absolute madness of the 1st World War as was his fearless coverage of Middle Eastern politics.

Thanks for the information but I hope you don't seriously think that rules out covid. Covid causes strokes even in young people, never mind at risk people:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422(20)30272-6/fulltext

Covid until proven innocent eh.

Rarely does a single death impact an entire profession.

Impossible for me to put into words my admiration for Mr. Fisk.

A heavyweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They really don't make journalists like him anymore. Great loss.

Advertisement