Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using online app to purchase cattle

Options
  • 01-11-2020 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Have to buy some cattle this week, I will be doing it online, have the app and am registered with the mart

I have never used it before so when you bit how do you know your bid is the highest during bidding? Does the screen light up? Also do you need good coverage or broadband for this to work? The last thing I want to happen is for it to freeze when I have a lot picked out to bid on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

morphy87 wrote: »
    Have to buy some cattle this week, I will be doing it online, have the app and am registered with the mart

I have never used it before so when you bit how do you know your bid is the highest during bidding? Does the screen light up? Also do you need good coverage or broadband for this to work? The last thing I want to happen is for it to freeze when I have a lot picked out to bid on

I've only used the LSL app and online mart.ie but on both of those it told me when I was the highest bidder. If I was the underbidder it again displayed this information as well as how much the next bid would cost me and how long I had to get back in before the hammer fell. As for the app freezing that's an intermittent thing and will vary depending on your internet connection and other factors. It's a reasonably straight forward process imo and if I can use it successfully then it's not too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I've only used the LSL app and online mart.ie but on both of those it told me when I was the highest bidder. If I was the underbidder it again displayed this information as well as how much the next bid would cost me and how long I had to get back in before the hammer fell. As for the app freezing that's an intermittent thing and will vary depending on your internet connection and other factors. It's a reasonably straight forward process imo and if I can use it successfully then it's not too difficult.

I’ve registered through both LSL and marteye. When I click ‘submit to bid’ and it says it’s sent but it never comes back. From an iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Dunedin wrote: »
    I’ve registered through both LSL and marteye. When I click ‘submit to bid’ and it says it’s sent but it never comes back. From an iPhone

Maybe your a bit dodgy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Dunedin wrote: »
    On LSL the square where you bid will go green when your bid is accepted and when you look at the bid stream it will show your name code/herd number. If you are outbid it will show "you are not the highest bidder" in red. On Marteye your bid will show on the right hand side of the bid stream which is on the left of that screen, iykwim.

If the bidding is fast and furious you maybe outbid in the blink of an eyelid so it is important to keep your eyes on the bids and listen carefully to the auctioneer.

If you are the highest bidder it will show in the bid stream until either you are outbid or the auctioneer drops the hammer/stops the bidding thereby accepting your bid as the final bid. Your name code/herd number will then show that you "bough"t that lot. Remember all lots are sold subject, just because you were the highest bidder does not necessary mean you have purchased the animal as the seller may not be happy with the price. It's a good idea to have a pen and paper beside you so that you can write the lot number and how much you paid for it. Phone the mart before you set out to collect "bought" animals in case the price wasn't enough for the seller.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭morphy87

Sound for that lads, it’s the mart eye app I will be using

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

There's also martbids.ie .
    How many are there in total?

https://bidding.martbids.ie/app/v4/login.php

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Online livestock bidding apps?
    AFAIK - LSL, Martbids and Marteye.
    https://www.livestock-live.com/
    https://bidding.martbids.ie/app/v4/index.php
    https://www.marteye.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It important to make sure you are registered with the mart you are bidding at. As I suppose you know different marts use different systems. I have used LSL and Marteye. I slightly perfect LSL but both methods are user friendly.

Remember cattle squeezed in a pen look different to cattle in a mart ring. You need a fairly good internet connection. I found that bidding from home on fibre connection using the home PC was better than bidding over a mobile phone.

However I never went to the mart to view. I was happy enough with what I bought

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Marteye, mart bids and LSL I think

It important to make sure you are registered with the mart you are bidding at. As I suppose you know different marts use different systems. I have used LSL and Marteye. I slightly perfect LSL but both methods are user friendly.

Remember cattle squeezed in a pen look different to cattle in a mart ring. You need a fairly good internet connection. I found that bidding from home on fibre connection using the home PC was better than bidding over a mobile phone.

I prefer LSL too as most marts (not all) using the app have a catalogue prior to the sale commencing. I can look at the catalogue and see if there is anything that I may be interested in. TBH I think LSL is more professional that Marteye but I haven't used Martbids so cannot comment.

I have upgraded from the laptop to the TV. I use a lead to link them and you can select which video stream you want to watch although we bid on the phones.
    Like you we have bought online without viewing the stock beforehand. As I said in previous posts the lighting in the ring is very important especially if you are buying dark coloured/black/black ended calves and cattle. We got caught out with a few AAx/HEx calves in the early days of LSL but over time I have trained my eye into the ring size, surrounding gates etc.
    I've looked at the sale from Gortalea mart in Kerry a few times and imho it's one of the best online sales that I have seen.
    Edit to add yet again: All calves sold in a mart whether it's online or not should show the Dam's breed code, it's now recorded on the blue card so it should be shown so that potential purchasers are properly informed.
    I note that my previous requests hasn't been taken up by any of the main stream Ag publications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Some marts have very good position for the camera and the right lighting. Others could do alot more on this from a buyers and indeed sellers benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    I have upgraded from the laptop to the TV. I use a lead to link them and you can select which video stream you want to watch although we bid on the phones.
    That’s a good idea
    Can’t find apps for the firestick, it’d pass an afternoon for the in-laws

Your spot on there, heard of people buying and then when seeing the cattle at home are dissapointed, the cattle I am trying to buy looked at them today after dinner in the field so I have a fair idea what I am trying to buy

I prefer LSL too as most marts (not all) using the app have a catalogue prior to the sale commencing. I can look at the catalogue and see if there is anything that I may be interested in. TBH I think LSL is more professional that Marteye but I haven't used Martbids so cannot comment.

Like you we have bought online without viewing the stock beforehand. As I said in previous posts the lighting in the ring is very important especially if you are buying dark coloured/black/black ended calves and cattle. We got caught out with a few AAx/HEx calves in the early days of LSL but over time I have trained my eye into the ring size, surrounding gates etc.
    I've looked at the sale from Gortalea mart in Kerry a few times and imho it's one of the best online sales that I have seen.
    Edit to add yet again: All calves sold in a mart whether it's online or not should show the Dam's breed code, it's now recorded on the blue card so it should be shown so that potential purchasers are properly informed.
    I note that my previous requests hasn't been taken up by any of the main stream Ag publications.

I agree about Gortnalea, very efficient. It carries on the mart much as normal but after cattle are out of ring and a new bunch in auctioneer keep reminding bidders it's the bunch gone out. Good lighting and camera positioning. Gives people time to bid and counter bid but neither side it draw out the process as some marts do.

I think all breeding should be shown as well. It would give buyers an idea of the genetic potential of the animal

Slava Ukrainii

morphy87 wrote: »
    Your spot on there, heard of people buying and then when seeing the cattle at home are dissapointed, the cattle I am trying to buy looked at them today after dinner in the field so I have a fair idea what I am trying to buy

This is a huge issue if you limit your buying choice in farming it is impossible to make a profit. Paying 100 euro extra for an animal means it needs to kill 25 kgs than the next animal

Slava Ukrainii

This is a huge issue if you limit your buying choice in farming it is impossible to make a profit. Paying 100 euro extra for an animal means it needs to kill 25 kgs than the next animal

True, bought some off this man before, young cattle still underage first week of October next year, he doesn’t over do them and they always grade well and weigh well in the factory

I'm watching Carrigallen and the audio is awful. I can't understand a word the auctioneer is saying due to the echo in the shed, clanging and banging gates.
    I can't understand why marts cannot get the audio correct at this stage. It has to impact sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'm watching Carrigallen and the audio is awful. I can't understand a word the auctioneer is saying due to the echo in the shed, clanging and banging gates.
    I can't understand why marts cannot get the audio correct at this stage. It has to impact sales.

Watching it too. It's when the fecking audio just goes completely which annoys me! Happened there at about 204 in the dry cows.

Watching it too. It's when the fecking audio just goes completely which annoys me! Happened there at about 204 in the dry cows.
    The change of auctioneers helped - M. McE is easier to understand.

The change of auctioneers helped - M. McE is easier to understand.

I just find half the time I don't listen to the auctioneer at all & just watch the screen price, decent internet needed though!

• Advertisement

I just find half the time I don't listen to the auctioneer at all & just watch the screen price, decent internet needed though!
    If your interested in buying sucklers and springers it's sorta important to know if they are in calf, when they are due or not in calf etc, iykwim.

If your interested in buying sucklers and springers it's sorta important to know if they are in calf, when they are due or not in calf etc, iykwim.

Oooh true, hadn't thought of that. Only ever watch it to sell, very poor AA bulls went through there before the drys.

Oooh true, hadn't thought of that. Only ever watch it to sell, very poor AA bulls went through there before the drys.

Stores or breeding. If stores what weight and what did they make

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Was talking to neighbour who buys good few cattle earlier about the limited on site viewing slot before the sales now under current restrictions. He said latest scam is for lads to bring in most of their cattle before the viewing, then land in with few poorer ones after viewing is over to be sold as part of the same lots eg book in a lot of 5, have 4 good ones in pen, and bring in worse lad To join them after viewing. Unless you had a note taken of how many cattle you saw in that lot in the pen, or spotted the dud on the camera, could easily be stuck with a wrong one. Lads are fit for anything.

Stores or breeding. If stores what weight and what did they make

Full bulls, sold as PB non reg, born late spring last year (between Feb & June I think) Didn't write down weights etc but know one sold for 700. Others were in & around same price. That'll give you an idea of quality :pac:

Advertisement