Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate floor problem

Options
  • 01-11-2020 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi

We have just moved into a new build house and got a contractor to fit laminate flooring. We went with high quality thick laminate. The last couple of days the flooring has been creaking a bit. I know an expansion gap was left around the edges of the room as we have underfloor heating. The subfloor was concrete and probably not fully level. Is this type of creaking normal as the floor settles on the underlay or has it been laid incorrectly? We have had many other issues with the flooring company so don't want to bring this to them unless it is an issue. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I'm not an expert but considering for a while doing this in our kitchen refurb soon so here is what I'm happy to understand and follow.

A thick laminate will disturb the true heat/ efficiency of the system and will not heat correctly, because its thick.And you've blocked it further with underlay.

A thin high end laminate is better.

The best material for underfloor heating is tile or stone.

What's probably happening is the heat is only reaching 1/3 or 1/2 of the laminate which is where the joint/interlocking of each board is reacting and there is a temp difference and reacts to your weight.

But its is only new and has to naturally settle.

Advertisement