Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry November- Anyone?

Options
  • 01-11-2020 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

I sometimes try Dry November for health reasons and to cut back on drinking prior to the Christmas season.

I know there's an argument for not doing it as it may lead to a major binge in December.

This year I have to admit a few glasses of wine after the working week will be most welcome. So I'm out this year but I will try and drink in moderation. Anyone out there giving up drinking for the month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Well, I'm dry so far in November. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,012 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fair play on doing it. No harm in taking a break from anything addictive. I’ve done the dry months and found them great.

Not doing it at the moment. I’ve had no appetite for booze over the last few months. Was drinking more than usual at the start of lockdown though so no harm in a break.

There will be posters along telling you that you’re a wrong‘ne for taking a break from booze. Don’t mind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

Would love to try it, just to see if I could. Been having a couple of glasses of wine most day since lockdown & now its become a habit, never drink more than a 2 really as can't cope with groggy head. I'd love to find decent alcohol free wine but any i've tried are awful, I might just do sparkling water in a wine glass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rolling boh

A break is good to take from the drink now and then as long as you do not go mad drinking when your break is finished .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

I would recommend anyone try it just to see if you can. If you can great. Enjoy December. If you can't go 30 days without alcohol then you need to ask yourself some serious questions. November is the chance to try the little test as ao many people are doing it no one will bat an eyelid at the fact that you are doing it. If your friends do object well you need to ask more serious questions about the life you lead.

So overall I'd say do it. Why not. And this year is the year to do it with the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I might do it ,with the pubs closed I have no real interest drinking in the house.

Didn't drink for 7 weeks during the lock down in April/May easy enough to do .

Too late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Started at 12.48 this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭This is it

I generally only drink about once a month so I wouldn't be bothered going off it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is a thread that pops up as regularly as...
    Well as a poppy thread.

There is a tradition of giving it up for the holy souls during November.
    It useta be the drink, now it's evolving into No Nut November and other forms of self imposed penance.

Not for me, but go ahead OP and knock yourself out with your sobriety!
    I'll be knocking one out, whilst knocking a few back.

*I say that despite probably only having 4/5 beers since March!
    Drinking at home just isn't for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

After finishing the remains of a bottle of pinot noir opened last night to enhance my rugby-watching experience :( I'm stopping until the first weekend in December.

At least that's the current plan.

Advertisement