Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate flooring creaks

Options
  • 01-11-2020 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi

We have just moved into a new build house and got a contractor to fit laminate flooring. We went with high quality thick laminate. The last couple of days the flooring has been creaking a bit. I know an expansion gap was left around the edges of the room as we have underfloor heating. The subfloor was concrete and probably not fully level. Is this type of creaking normal as the floor settles on the underlay or has it been laid incorrectly? We have had many other issues with the flooring company so don't want to bring this to them unless it is an issue. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

An unlevel floor should really have been levelled if it was bad.
    If not the dips and hollows in the cement floor, put undue stress an the laminate
    flooring connections.

Or it may have had the thickest underlay to compensate for the poor floor surface.
    Its extremely hard to ascertain where the creaking is coming from, as its a covered floor now.

If it has the correct expansion gaps left, and a top slip fitted, and proper underlay, Its hard to see any other area
    except the edge cover slip at the floor/skirting edge creaking as it expands and contracts.
    Of course it may need some amount of time to settle. Check the manufacturers advice and data sheet,
    if you dont want to contact the flooring company.

Old school method for creaking floors was talcum powder at the area of creaking. May or may not apply in this case.

My own laminate floors are floating on 3 mm foam due to old uneven floors, and
    you can hear the floor compressing the foam when you walk on it,
    But you expect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 CarlosV

kadman wrote: »
    My own laminate floors are floating on 3 mm foam due to old uneven floors, and
    you can hear the floor compressing the foam when you walk on it,
    But you expect this.

Thank you Kadman! We are unsure as to whether or not it should be down to flooring company to let you know it's uneven before putting flooring down? We don't have a clue as it's our first house.

Some of the work done by the company was horrendous (the site foreman was shocked as we asked his opinion on other parts of the flooring. He didn't have any role in doing the flooring!) I had heard boards may move a bit as they settle on the underlay but just want to make sure the creak isn't a problem. I'd it's just linked to this and will settle in time we can get used to the noise.

Its doubtful flooring boards, especially laminate would cause any very
    noticeable creaking that you could hear. Are you sure its not floor movement as you walk over the boards??

What type of flooring?
    Is it a new build,
    Was the thick laminate removed from the packing to accustom to the room environment over a few days
    befor laying.
    Were the concrete floors fully dried out.
    Did you have a project manager on the job??

Advertisement