Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bobby Charlton has dementia.

Options
  • 01-11-2020 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭

Sad to hear that one of the great footballers of all time, Sir Bobby Charlton has been diagnosed with dementia. A horrible disease that turns people into shallow husks of themselves.

The reason I posted this regarding an Irish connection. In the bbc article it said he finished his career with Waterford. I mean wtf???

How did Bobby Charlton end up playing for Waterford?

Bobby had one of the best shots on him I’ve ever seen. He could have taken your head off. A real life hotshot Hamish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Lured there by the blaa.

Very sad though, dementia is truly horrible. For the sufferer and their families.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

That’s sad to hear.

As for how he ended up at Waterford, the standard between the two leagues wasn’t nearly as vast as it is now.

Pretty sure United tried to buy Tommy McConville from Waterford a few years before Charlton signed but Waterford upped their price at the last minute resulting in United backing out of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

timthumbni wrote: »
    Sad to hear that one of the great footballers of all time, Sir Bobby Charlton has been diagnosed with dementia. A horrible disease that turns people into shallow husks of themselves.

The reason I posted this regarding an Irish connection. In the bbc article it said he finished his career with Waterford. I mean wtf???

Bobby had one of the best shots on him I’ve ever seen. He could have taken your head off. A real life hotshot Hamish.

He was nearly forty when he played with Waterford. Which has always been a serious soccer town, by the way.

I suppose the money wasn't as great then, and every little helped at twilight.

I remember seeing Alan Sunderland play for Derry in the late '80's.

Geoff Hurst, Gordon Banks, and a good few more played LoI...

https://www.balls.ie/football/30-men-played-league-ireland-gone-world-cup-390912

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Smee_Again wrote: »
    That’s sad to hear.

As for how he ended up at Waterford, the standard between the two leagues wasn’t nearly as vast as it is now.

Pretty sure United tried to buy Tommy McConville from Waterford a few years before Charlton signed but Waterford upped their price at the last minute resulting in United backing out of the deal.

Interesting. Though I still couldn’t see Charlton going from winning the European cup with the holy trinity of himself, Best and Law to playing for Waterford. Some signing anyway.

Bobby always came across as an absolute gentleman in any interviews I saw him in. Dementia is one of the worst diseases I can think of. The absolute fear I have saw in their eyes is horrifying. Not recognising their own children etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Interesting. Though I still couldn’t see Charlton going from winning the European cup with the holy trinity of himself, Best and Law to playing for Waterford. Some signing anyway.

Bobby always came across as an absolute gentleman in any interviews I saw him in. Dementia is one of the worst diseases I can think of. The absolute fear I have saw in their eyes is horrifying. Not recognising their own children etc etc.

It was nearly a decade later but yeah, I’ve often wondered how that move came about.

Very sad to hear, he always seemed like an absolute gent.

• Advertisement

Smee_Again wrote: »
    It was nearly a decade later but yeah, I’ve often wondered how that move came about.

Very sad to hear, he always seemed like an absolute gent.

Might have been a Shay Brennan connection there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Sure best played in cork for cork Celtic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

The two brothers got it in the end so. Very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Sure best played in cork for cork Celtic.

Aye, I remember that. He also played I think for Glentoran and Hibs too. It would be a bit like Messi turning out for Linfield or Dundalk nowadays.

The days of gentleman players are over it seems with the spoilt brats playing nowadays. I remember seeing a clip of the great Eusebio shaking I think Gordon banks hand after a great save during a match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

He’s had it for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

He never made his brother Jackies funeral and of course the gutter press reported that by harking back to a brotherly feud. The reality was much more simple and painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Garrincha did 8 months with Finn Harps

Not uncommon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Dementia's not the worst, not recognizing your children would be more Alzheimer's than dementia.

Dementia's not the worst, not recognizing your children would be more Alzheimer's than dementia.

Dementia’s not the worst? You haven’t a clue what you’re taking about. Pray to God you never have a family member that gets vascular dementia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭ooter

Sad news, seems to happen to quite a few footballers from that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,307 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

ooter wrote: »
    Sad news, seems to happen to quite a few footballers from that era.

Seems to be a trend amongst that generation of footballers. Heading those heavy rain soaked leather footballs repeatedly every weekend of the year must have had a lasting impact.

Not a nice illness to suffer with within a family at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

paleoperson & Tilikum17
    going by your posts, your families have been personally impacted by this illness.

I would recommend that you try not to let personal emotions dictate your posts here. I have deleted some posts where this appears to be the case.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Mod

paleoperson & Tilikum17
    going by your posts, your families have been personally impacted by this illness.

I would recommend that you try not to let personal emotions dictate your posts here. I have deleted some posts where this appears to be the case.

You also deleted another posters post explaining Alzheimer’s is a type of dementia. Maybe you should of left that one as many people don’t seem to realise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

My granny was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at a similar age (around 83, but the symptoms had been there for a few years). She died within three years, and her illness never seemed to progress much during that time. When I last spoke to her, a few days before she slipped away, she was still very much the same person as she had always been - just slightly confused and (in her own words) 'gone a bit daft'. She no longer had any filter and if she didn't like someone, she'd let them know in no uncertain terms, often referring to them as "bastards" and "gobshites". At one point, she became terribly paranoid about lesbians. If she saw two female residents talking to each other, she'd call someone over and conspiratorially whisper - "see them two...? Lesbians." And then she'd shake her head disapprovingly.

A fellow resident of the nursing home, who was always trying to escape, once asked me if I was going to take her out. As quick as a flash, my granny snapped at her: "I wish someone would take you out and shoot you, you daft bitch". It's the kind of thing she might previously have said under her breath, or when the target was out of earshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Very sad for Sir Bobby. A giant of the game and Mr.Man Utd. An absolute legend of the game and one of the greatest players to ever play the game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

You should get a career as a journalist at one of those children's newspapers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Wouldn't be a fan of anyone connected with Man U, but having dementia in the family, I can only wish the best for him and his family

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Nunu wrote: »
    He never made his brother Jackies funeral and of course the gutter press reported that by harking back to a brotherly feud. The reality was much more simple and painful.

Sickening really, especially when you take into consideration that his brother passed away and the nature of Bobby's ilness. Never heard anything of any animosity between them. The team of '66 falling like dominos at the minute. Nobby Styles passed yesterday too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Wouldn't be a fan of anyone connected with Man U

Now there's a thing about football I've never understood - the idea that people connected with one team are in any way different from people connected with another team.
    The team of '66 falling like dominos at the minute.

It's been a bad couple of years for them... Charlton, Stiles, Peters, Banks - all gone since 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,684 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It is a horrible thing to suffer from. I remember been in an old fokes home with a friend who was visiting there mother who is no longer here but lived to the good age of 98 and some in there had it. Horrible to see. Just goes to show you can be super fit and healthy and still get it.
    You just do not know.
    I would say people from today with all the media could be a lot more susceptible to it do because we here and see so much.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    It is a horrible thing to suffer from. I remember been in an old fokes home with a friend who was visiting there mother who is no longer here but lived to the good age of 98 and some in there had it. Horrible to see. Just goes to show you can be super fit and healthy and still get it.
    You just do not know.
    I would say people from today with all the media could be a lot more susceptible to it do because we here and see so much.

What do you mean ?

Advertisement