Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugs civil service

Options
  • 01-11-2020 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am wondering who I would contact in the civil service to alert them to a staff member that is heavily under the influence of drugs, they are not long out of rehab and no follow up treatment offered by civil service or check ups.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

C d wrote: »
    I am wondering who I would contact in the civil service to alert them to a staff member that is heavily under the influence of drugs, they are not long out of rehab and no follow up treatment offered by civil service or check ups.

Your line manager, I would think.

"I am very concerned about Mary. She seems to be behaving very erratically during work. I am concerned for her welfare. What do you think? Have you noticed anything?"

Unless you personally want to take on Mary's issues in a private capacity, I'd be letting your manager know and allow for the appropriate workplace interventions to occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

If you do bring it to your line managers attention Is there a danger like everything else in the civil service the manager will shrug their shoulders and go back to playing solitaire on their PC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 C d

Thanks. It's not someone I work with it's actually a family member that works with civil service and I'm upset no follow up treatment was offered and also concerned that their current workplace is an enabling factor to their drug use. Just not sure who if I could or who I could raise issue to

Do you work with this person?

(eta) cross posted. I see you don't work with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭claregal1

Follow up care normally comes from the rehab service . I work in Addiction services and we cannot discuss anyones concerns with anyone only the person themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Thanks. It's not someone I work with it's actually a family member that works with civil service and I'm upset no follow up treatment was offered and also concerned that their current workplace is an enabling factor to their drug use. Just not sure who if I could or who I could raise issue to

The follow up treatment would be the concern of their doctor, not their employer. Have you spoken to your family member about this? Surely their family or friends should be supporting them first, not their job.

Yes but I just thought that civil service had part to play in follow up treatment and medicals but wasnt sure.
    Yeah I think maybe your right ... no one would be able to deal with my concerns due to staff confidentiality. Just v frustrating ...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭claregal1

Yes but I just thought that civil service had part to play in follow up treatment and medicals but wasnt sure.
    Yeah I think maybe your right ... no one would be able to deal with my concerns due to staff confidentiality. Just v frustrating ...

I totally understand your frustrations but civil service would have absolutely nothing to do with follow up care - it comes from the rehab centre . And with Covid all aftercare services have moved online . I would ring the rehab and ask for advice bit they won't discuss your relative with you , just give general advice .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

If they are so obviously under the influence why hasn't it been noticed already at work?

The follow up treatment would be the concern of their doctor, not their employer. Have you spoken to your family member about this? Surely their family or friends should be supporting them first, not their job.

Was just pretty sure that civil service had duty of follow up care to their staff also. You cannot speak to a drug addict about their addiction it's never going to go the way you want it to go. They refuse to talk. They have a lot of support but don't want it ... and it's the fact that I think alot of the drug use happens during working hours possibly (not definitely) I cant help but wonder if they knew their job was aware it was continuing would it coax them to get help and take it serious . Although I know I might not be thinking properly as it's such a close family Member. Thanks

• Advertisement

If they are so obviously under the influence why hasn't it been noticed already at work?

They work alone

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Consider contacting the CSEAS https://www.cseas.per.gov.ie/about-us/role-of-the-cseas/ The Civil Service Employee Assistance Service.

They might be able to help. But they are bound by GDPR

The Civil Service would offer the employee support in overcoming addiction - I know one or two alcoholics who were helped get on the wagon via their Department and the Employee Assistance Service, but the request for help came from the employee themself. Even if you contacted your family member's department, I don't know if they could act upon it. Sorry I can offer no further advice, and sorry for your troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Was just pretty sure that civil service had duty of follow up care to their staff also. You cannot speak to a drug addict about their addiction it's never going to go the way you want it to go. They refuse to talk. They have a lot of support but don't want it ... and it's the fact that I think alot of the drug use happens during working hours possibly (not definitely) I cant help but wonder if they knew their job was aware it was continuing would it coax them to get help and take it serious . Although I know I might not be thinking properly as it's such a close family Member. Thanks

When someone is an addict, the VAST majority of the time the drug will take priority. Having an employer address it is likely to just have your family member resign or be fired. Then they will just be an unemployed addict. Can you call a support service for family members of addicts like Nar anon or Al anon? They might be able to help you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The problem is your family member and not his/her employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Maybe you could contact their place of work and inform the that you are concerned about your family member's mental health and that perhaps they could introduce you to a person that could handle the situation with care and confidentially? You might find it very hard for someone to speak to you about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I would be very wary of contacting anyone in the civil service. There are a lot of old fashioned ideas floating around in senior management and you could well seriously hamper any prospect of career development after recovery and possibly jeopardise their career full stop.

I've seen quite a few people forced out over disciplinary issues which in reality were addiction / mental health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

That would be up to the Chief Medical Officer staff, plus thats a data protection issue, GDPR, staff confidentiality. You are not next of kin.

As another poster said, their GP would be involved in follow up checks after treatment and medicals.

To be honest, your concerns would not be entertained by a GP or the CMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I would not interfere, OP. It's not your call to make. For all you know, the line manager may have already noticed something's wrong and might be making moves.

I notice you say it's a family member. Have you actually spoken to them directly and asked how they're doing? Or would you rather just drop them in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭CharlesMartel

Sorry overly harsh... Just previous bad experiences having colleagues with issues letting you down
    Most state employer offer a confidential counscelling service. Also suggest taking stress leave until stabilised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Sounds like your trying to get the person in trouble more so than protecting them.

I’m not sure what role would be enabling someone to take drugs in the civil service?

Maybe leave the employer out of it and talk to your family member. If they don’t want your help, you can’t force them to take it by going to their boss.

Sounds like it has the potential to be extremely vindictive.

Advertisement