Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building an outdoor pavilion

Options
  • 31-10-2020 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Advice please. I’m mad to build an outdoor pavilion. Something nice where we can sit and read, maybe eat, to cover the barbecue etc. A place that I can sit in when raining (with heater) yet something that isn’t too enclosed that it’s like a cave. See pictures to give a sense of what I’m thinking.

I’m just wondering how difficult it would be to build something like this yourself, where could I get plans, instead of wood I was thinking steel boxed in with nice brick for the pillars and wood for the fascia. Was thinking Louvred slats for the roof, but wondering if I should enclose it.

The stuff I’ve seen online is incredibly expensive or else crappy looking. As always, appreciate the insights of people on this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭karlitob

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all

Advice please. I’m mad to build an outdoor pavilion. Something nice where we can sit and read, maybe eat, to cover the barbecue etc. A place that I can sit in when raining (with heater) yet something that isn’t too enclosed that it’s like a cave. See pictures to give a sense of what I’m thinking.

I’m just wondering how difficult it would be to build something like this yourself, where could I get plans, instead of wood I was thinking steel boxed in with nice brick for the pillars and wood for the fascia. Was thinking Louvred slats for the roof, but wondering if I should enclose it.

The stuff I’ve seen online is incredibly expensive or else crappy looking. As always, appreciate the insights of people on this thread.

Forgot pics

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

A retractable roof would give year round value, patio in summer, covered in winter.

Solli wrote: »
    A retractable roof would give year round value, patio in summer, covered in winter.

Thanks. I’ve seen those but are they not part of the ‘system’ that you would buy - the pergola and the Retractable roof or closed louves

Any guidance on the build?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

Don't underestimate the cost. Attached pics look'professional' in design. Just be careful that a diy build doesn't look cheap n nasty. If you have reasonable building skills then copy one of the pics and keep us posted. Like the idea though

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Steel and brick? Do you have welding and bricklaying skills?

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Steel and brick? Do you have welding and bricklaying skills?

Brick and block laying. No welding - neighbour does though.

rje66 wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the cost. Attached pics look'professional' in design. Just be careful that a diy build doesn't look cheap n nasty. If you have reasonable building skills then copy one of the pics and keep us posted. Like the idea though

Oh seriously professional - one or two from an excellent lad on Instagram. Easily 30-50k gardens. Really fantastic work.

And you’re on the ball - I’m keen for it not to look crap. You know the type of pergolas that go in.

Wondering if there’s somewhere you can get plans.

I've seen someone up a ladder stick welding a pavilion before. Looked fun.

The first decision is size. Then flat vs pitched roof.

I've seen someone up a ladder stick welding a pavilion before. Looked fun.

The first decision is size. Then flat vs pitched roof.

8m x 3.5m

Single Pitch

Tip. Form follows function.
    Work out aspect, wind direction, setting sun, views. How you will use it, Kids. Bbq, groups of ppl, etc. Choose materials , metal. Wood. Brick. a mix of these, a bit of glass maybe... then design it around of all of this to a skill level you can achieve.
    Simples!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

What ever you do, surely it needs to have a roof to maximise availability. Electric closing canopies or sliding glass an option but obviously not cheap. Have u a budget in mind ? The horizontal timber louvre roof blades with brick will look great but in my opinion needs a roof covering of some sort.

DIY KING wrote: »
    What ever you do, surely it needs to have a roof to maximise availability. Electric closing canopies or sliding glass an option but obviously not cheap. Have u a budget in mind ? The horizontal timber louvre roof blades with brick will look great but in my opinion needs a roof covering of some sort.

I think you’re right. The spot that I have selected has a lot of light throughout the year (big garden) that shines in (south facing).

While I would prefer a Louvre for the look, i think enclosed would be better. Would I be looking at putting in a sky light? I’m figuring out the budget at the moment. Some of those aluminium verandas are coming in at 5-7k which is a bit steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’m gonna follow this, as I’m hoping to do something similar in the spring time. My initial idea is to build a pillar frame ( don’t know what material yet) and have a stone wall to 4’ high then some material will allow light through, possibly with an acrylic panel roof. I’d like to do most of the work myself, or with mates rates as I have friends in a lot of trades. Hope to get some more ideas here. Will post anything I do, but it’s a project for spring/summer for me.

Good luck with the build!!

Some of those aluminium verandas are coming in at 5-7k which is a bit steep.
    I want you to remember this thought. :pac:

I want you to remember this thought. :pac:

Could something self built really come anywhere close to this?

Lots of potential for simple but modern design based on images provided. Will a simple rectangular box shape work ? As another poster has said, check out sun path etc and maybe a half solid roof, half glass or polycarbonate might work. If you build parapets to hide roof then you could go cheap on solid element depending n what you want to see on underside. You can get side coverings that roll out to close in some of sides. I'm just finishing a car port type lean to structure attached to side of house - gym / games area for kids. 2/3 of roof is epdm rubber on timber with the other third not yet finished but probably solid clear polycarbonate.
    By the sounds of it, your budget is going to be key !

Could something self built really come anywhere close to this?

Depends on the materials and design. If you start using things like Cedar or hardwood cladding then you're looking at 50/sqm. Similarly, hardwood posts and beams are expensive. Glass or polycarbonate could be 50/sqm too.

An open fronted 8x3.5x2.5m cuboid has a surface area of 93.5sqm, so there's 5k just in cladding and roofing, potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think you’re right. The spot that I have selected has a lot of light throughout the year (big garden) that shines in (south facing).

While I would prefer a Louvre for the look, i think enclosed would be better. Would I be looking at putting in a sky light? I’m figuring out the budget at the moment. Some of those aluminium verandas are coming in at 5-7k which is a bit steep.

I think you'd be best roofing it and also putting patio seating area just outside of it also. This gives you best of both worlds . Year round option if covered area and a space just outside to get the sun if needed.

Depends on the materials and design. If you start using things like Cedar or hardwood cladding then you're looking at 50/sqm. Similarly, hardwood posts and beams are expensive. Glass or polycarbonate could be 50/sqm too.

An open fronted 8x3.5x2.5m cuboid has a surface area of 93.5sqm, so there's 5k just in cladding and roofing, potentially.

Aye these are expensive materials with reason. But consider how you can achieve professional appearance for alot less. You can clad walls in cheaper treated timbers and stain them dark colours to obtain that modern high class feel.

listermint wrote: »
    Aye these are expensive materials with reason. But consider how you can achieve professional appearance for alot less. You can clad walls in cheaper treated timbers and stain them dark colours to obtain that modern high class feel.
    Or paint them. Paint covers a multitude of sins!

I've half a mind to use untreated planed softwood for my next outdoor project. If you build it right with proper overhangs, guttering etc and make sure it's not in ground contact e.g. using post holders with standoff bases and drain holes, then using the higher finish planed wood with paint, protim or stain might look better and last fine.

All of the treated timber I've got from builders providers has looked too nasty for finish work, presumably because it's intended to sit behind plasterboard.

• Advertisement

Or paint them. Paint covers a multitude of sins!

I've half a mind to use untreated planed softwood for my next outdoor project. If you build it right with proper overhangs, guttering etc and make sure it's not in ground contact e.g. using post holders with standoff bases and drain holes, then using the higher finish planed wood with paint, protim or stain might look better and last fine.

All of the treated timber I've got from builders providers has looked too nasty for finish work, presumably because it's intended to sit behind plasterboard.

Exactly my plan for next year. Other few things on the go at the moment. But we are overdue a patio area covered and protected. My aim would be cheaper soft timbers painted or stained. You can do alot with complimentary materials enhancing the look.

Currently cladding garden walls with regular treated timber horizontal rows of a mixture of 4 × 1 and 2 × 1, cheap as chips. Might also give a lick of clear protim but the option is there to stain or leave as is. Not sure I would use untreated. Point is that there are cheaper alternatives but might need a bit more maintenance. Keep us posted !!

DIY KING wrote: »
    Currently cladding garden walls with regular treated timber horizontal rows of a mixture of 4 × 1 and 2 × 1, cheap as chips. Might also give a lick of clear protim but the option is there to stain or leave as is. Not sure I would use untreated. Point is that there are cheaper alternatives but might need a bit more maintenance. Keep us posted !!

Thanks all. I’m thinking along the lines of what everyone has said. Work with the cheap and spruce up with paint. I’m a fan of painted wood - not bare.

Does anyone have any plans that they are working from or are you developing your own. Need a little guidance on the construction component.

Think you are going to have to keep googling until you find at least something close to what you like. Do a search on YouTube as well. Big fan of The Restoration Couple. Think about how you might heat the space - outdoor stove, chiminea, pizza oven etc, trendy at the moment and could be a nice centre piece. I nearly bought a timber kit gazebo thingy until I decided to go DIY. Nice ideas though.

Looking at the pictures. I think first pic would be easiest to build. Just scale it up a bit to suit your needs. Looks like reasonable diy skills and a bit of research could get it done.

Advertisement