Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's ghost estates and other Celtic Tiger relics....

Options
  • 31-10-2020 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

The celtic tiger roared through Ireland in the 90's/early 00's and with it came excessive and ill planned property developments.
    There are ghost estates and apartment complexes now abandoned 15 plus years throughout Ireland.
    Strangely,a lot of these projects were poorly planned for in backwater towns & villages with little amenities.

Do you live near such an estate or a failed venture that screams Celtic Tiger era?

At least we never got carried away with the Bertie bowl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Does anyone know where the book of topics for starting threads is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

There's a small one just behind me since 2009. About 7 or 8 houses out of a planned 18 or so were near near enough up with doors and windows etc installed. The thing is they are right next door to a joinery factory and you could practically hang out the end house's bathroom window and touch their massive dust extraction system. None of them sold. I worked with a guy that was going to buy one but pulled out late on when he discovered no one else had confirmed to buy. The bank called in the debt the builder owed and he hanged himself. About 2 years ago most of the site was cleared, some near complete houses were levelled and a couple of others were boarded up. There's been no activity on site since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

The celtic tiger is roaring back.

We're heading for another covid shaped jumbo crash. This is going to be whopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There’s 6 unfinished houses since 2007 in the small estate beside mine. Two are foundations only, the other 4 are pretty much complete structurally (doors and windows fitted).

My estate was to have another 100 or so houses, but they stopped in 2006 after my section, and nothing was left unfinished. The builders’ yard was there for years with equipment stored, but they cleared all that up about 8 years ago. They put up a new planning notice for a handful of the extra houses late last year, but nothing has started since. Not sure if they were just doing it as a procedure to keep the planning active, or if circumstances thwarted their plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

A lot of the ghost estates have since been cleared by the county councils, as they had often been vandalised beyond economic redemption.

• Advertisement
Advertisement