Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking Roof at Solar Hot Water Panels

Options
  • 31-10-2020 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

So last week I noticed a damp patch appear on the ceiling in my upstairs hall. The damp patch is directly below where a pipe from a hot water solar panel penetrates the slate roof. This morning I got a chance to have a look to see what's happening. I have attached some photos.

It turn out that both pipes for the inlet and outlet to the panel are leaking but to different extents. I can't really tell how the pipes are (/aren't) sealed externally. I took photos zoomed in as best I could from the ground but can't really see.

On the inside, someone in the past seems to have applied brown silicone around the pipe but as the pipes are up against a roof batten I doubt they were ever fully sealed. I could try and do the same to make them a bit better, even as a temporary fix, but doubt it would be a perfect job and water is still likely to get to the battens, which you can see are pretty damp already and will likely start to rot.

Removing a section of the batten to give better access may be another option but could that cause other problems? I'd need to make sure it wasn't supporting the panel as a minimum if I did.

Hopefully someone had had experience with these types of panels as I'm looking for advise on how best to make this water tight again. Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

These should have had solar pipe flashing bushings used on them.its a rubber gasket that goes around the pipe..

I'm sure you could retro fit a gasket around the pipe and use plenty of silicone on it making sure to smooth out to allow water run off and away.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

listermint wrote: »
    These should have had solar pipe flashing bushings used on them.its a rubber gasket that goes around the pipe..

I'm sure you could retro fit a gasket around the pipe and use plenty of silicone on it making sure to smooth out to allow water run off and away.

Thanks. I guess a permanent solution would be to fit the correct flashing. I expect this would require breaking a pipe connection and therefore draining the solar system first, removing slates etc so some fun up high on the roof.

Sounds like I'm probably stuck with just using silicone for now. I'll have to look into what types of flashing is available or maybe contact some installers for a repair quote.

Advertisement