Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Holder Holding Water

Options
  • 30-10-2020 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I've built a leantoo on the concrete at the house, it's held down with 4x4 post holders, which work great, but I think the wood is going to rot as water will lie in the bottom of them, their are slits in the side but there would still be more than a inch of wood below the slits.
    I'm thinking some kind of filler around the top to stop water dripping in but the slits would still be open. Any suggestions?

Picture attached
    https://ibb.co/YBQXV7M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

without knowing if the post is sitting flat on the bottom or not cant fully advise. But for me id out in drilled holes on each side (4 total) to allow catched water to escape. I wouldnt do anymore than that. You just want water to disperse. The timber itself will allow water by whatever you between the metal and the post so i dont think thats productive.

I would repaint if you drill holes. already see some rust colour on the post holders after what i suppose is a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Yes unfortunately it was only after I had finished I realised I should have put something under the post to raise it slightly, rookie mistake.
    Drilling a hole is a great suggestion, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 27,087 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Snotty wrote: »
    Yes unfortunately it was only after I had finished I realised I should have put something under the post to raise it slightly, rookie mistake.
    Drilling a hole is a great suggestion, thank you

Normally those type of post holders would have a lip on the inside to keep them of the ground... Are you sure the timber is actually on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,087 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Also, did you seal the holder to the concrete or just bolt it down?
    There should be a hole in the bottom that will allow water to escape, assuming the shoe is just bolted down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

GreeBo wrote: »
    Also, did you seal the holder to the concrete or just bolt it down?
    There should be a hole in the bottom that will allow water to escape, assuming the shoe is just bolted down

Definitely no lip on the inside or outside. The wood sits flush with the bottom of the inside of the holder and the bottom is flat bolted to the concrete. There are 4 holes in the bottom but there is nowhere for the water to go, unless it was a really rough bit of concrete it was bolted to.
    If I was doing it again I'd definitely put a few bolts between the bottom of the posts and the holder, plus maybe raise the holders up on a few washers or something just to let water flow down and drip out the bottom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

5mm is the magic number for drain holes or channels.

Something to do with surface tension of water.

Advertisement