Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mould in plywood under shower

Options
  • 30-10-2020 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

So taking up flooring in a bedroom and realised had a leak in ensuite shower. Leak is caused by water getting out the shower door, though it has not been used for some time.

I have taken pictures of how in plywood in bedroom but when I removed two tiles in bathroom(no picture of this) its a lot worse in the area. Lot more blacker and wetter.

Whats my best course of action? IS this mould and is it dangerous or is it just rotten wood?

Appreciate any direction on this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,696 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its not Plywood, its called OSB. It used generally in flooring and wall applications. quite strong.

The one you have shown there is in the process of rotting. You have had a decent regular amount of water hitting it. Id suggest right now finding the source of the leak. It doesnt matter if the ensuite has not been used. It may be a leaky tap or shower fittings dripping behind a wall.

Thats the first thing you need to check , Check the fittings first were you can. if unable to locate a fault you may have to lift the ensuite floor OR drill small inspection holes to see any hidden pipes in the walls. Start with the water sources closest to this damp spot (could be the sink)

Advertisement