Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning oil tank

Options
  • 30-10-2020 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

I've an old heating oil tank that I would like to use for storing rainwater. What's the best way to clean it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Don’t think it’s worth the effort.

You’d get a few bob for it on DD and you can buy clean ibc tanks for €40-50

Years ago the plastic diesel tanks were made down the road from us and we got a second 600l from the factory for rainwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Up Donegal wrote: »
    I've an old heating oil tank that I would like to use for storing rainwater. What's the best way to clean it out?

Any kind of cheap tractor wash or fairy liquid out of discount shops.few kettles of boiling water And a good power hose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭kk.man

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Any kind of cheap tractor wash or fairy liquid out of discount shops.few kettles of boiling water And a good power hose

Hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

kk.man wrote: »
    Hardship

Yup.
    Even as a certified cavan man I can see that’s a horrid job, unlikely to clean it properly and just for €50, you get an nice tidy IBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Up Donegal wrote: »

Depends on what you're going using the water for.

If it's just for washing a yard or machinery, you'll be fine.

If it's for animals, go away and buy a new one. No amount of washing will get the taste and small of diesel or Kerosene out of a tank. I've tried and nearly spent enough to buy a new tank in time, detergents, hot water and god knows what else trying to get the smell out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement