Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fourteen year old neighbor's child has a full size adult quad

Options
  • 30-10-2020 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

A fourteen year old neighbor's child has a full size adult quad with a sign that it shouldn't be driven by anybody under sixteen. He drives it on my parent's lanes and fields. If he had an accident could my parents be sued? Would it be covered by FBD farm insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

By knowing it’s happening and allowing it to continue I suppose they are giving permission to use the land.

That could indeed get a bit sticky in the event of an accident.

I’m sure they are decent people but there isn’t a hope in hell I’d be allowing that crack go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭amacca

_Brian wrote: »
    By knowing it’s happening and allowing it to continue I suppose they are giving permission to use the land.

I’m sure they are decent people but there isn’t a hope in hell I’d be allowing that crack go on.

2 things

I know you are probably correct but ffs thats part of whats wrong in this country. To my mind its the kids parents fault entirely......they are his parents and responsible for him as he is a minor not elderly neigbours whose laneway and fields he drives on.

Could they not just say they didnt know, he is not their k8d after all and ...or at least that didnt know someone under 16 couldnt drive it....are they supposed to be experts on the law regarding quads on behalf of someone elses child?

I personally find stuff like that sickening......its enough to be responsible for your own and if everyone was there would be less worry and hassle attached to day to day living

• Registered Users Posts: 29,209 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I hear ads on the radio recently about the injuries kids can get from quads etc and that they are not suitable Christmas gifts. I know 2 people killed off quads. We don't have one here. Use an old jeep instead. How could you live with yourself if your own child was seriously injured or worse, died on your land on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

A fourteen year old neighbor's child has a full size adult quad with a sign that it shouldn't be driven by anybody under sixteen. He drives it on my parent's lanes and fields. If he had an accident could my parents be sued? Would it be covered by FBD farm insurance?

Public liability would have you covered

amacca wrote: »
    2 things

I know you are probably correct but ffs thats part of whats wrong in this country. To my mind its the kids parents fault entirely......they are his parents and responsible for him as he is a minor not elderly neigbours whose laneway and fields he drives on.

Could they not just say they didnt know, he is not their k8d after all and ...or at least that didnt know someone under 16 couldnt drive it....are they supposed to be experts on the law regarding quads on behalf of someone elses child?

I personally find stuff like that sickening......its enough to be responsible for your own and if everyone was there would be less worry and hassle attached to day to day living

It’s the world we live in sadly.

Separately I just wouldn’t want it. Noisy useless carry on and must be ripping the shiit out of the land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The fact that the kid has a quad is none of your parent's concern, that's his parent's choice and responsibility.

The fact that he is driving on your parent's property is a different matter. They need to get him off their land immediately.

Riding a quad around a neighbor's land without invitation is not normal or acceptable behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

elperello wrote: »
    The fact that the kid has a quad is none of your parent's concern, that's his parent's choice and responsibility.

The fact that he is driving on your parent's property is a different matter. They need to get him off their land immediately.

Riding a quad around a neighbor's land without invitation is not normal or acceptable behavior.

OP the neighbours are taking the piss.

ganmo wrote: »
    OP the neighbours are taking the piss.

Absolutely

The obviously bought this quad with the intention of letting the kid rip up neighbors fields without asking. It’s some cheek !!

The other side is he will be back to school Monday so should put an end to it. I'd put up no trespassing signs and close any gaps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

whelan2 wrote: »
    The other side is he will be back to school Monday so should put an end to it. I'd put up no trespassing signs and close any gaps

Every day after school he’ll be at it.
    I’d either call or put it in writing to the parents very
    clearly - the airwaves are awash with people who cannot afford insurance in their businesses or properties because of
    some frivolous claim - you knew the hole was there but didn’t cover it up, the rusty pipe impailed him 100k payout, scar on kneee - damaged for life 30k etc. They will be the
    first to sue - no consequences to them. I’d put it in writing and make it 100% - no scrambler bike or trespassing on your land or paths. You could say you are not sure whose house or farm the quad is coming from but that you are putting it in adjoining neighbours doors just in case. You could also point out the ad campaigns in the letter... Was it Ozzy Osbourne had a messy spinal accident on one - and a groom paralysed on the eve of his wedding a few years back. Imagine the payout on that. You’d never get insurance again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Its very likely this kid will he injured or killed soon.

Full size quads are not toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Do the neighbours even have land?

If they do then tell them that respectfully you dont want something on your conscience if it happens and you have heard about how dangerous they are, please keep to their own side of the fence. If they dont have land was it bought with the expectation that theyd have the run of your place? Cause I definitely wouldn't stand for that either

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I think it would be sensible for your parents, (or if they are elderly), you should have polite conversation with the child's parents are tell them that your elderly parents are terrified that the child could have a terrible accident on their property and it is causing them great worry. Then ask that the child stops driving on your parent's lane.

There is the strong probability in the event of an accident your parents could be sued and it is anybodies guess what the outcome would be. I am very doubtful if this situation is covered by Farm Insurance .

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭1373

Man up and tell him and his idiot parents to stay off your property

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I’d try and approach the parents and try and say in a nice way that you seen him on your land and your worried he could hurt himself with the uneven ground etc and would he mind staying off it please. You don’t want to fall out with them over something like this... but ya don’t want to stay quiet either and then get a solicitors letter in door some day saying he scraped himself or hurt himself off one of your posts ...etc

How well do they know the kids parents? I had 3 lads on a scrambler in my field a few months ago. I know one of the lads parents well. After I ran them out of the field , I went to their house and just said he had no permission to be on my land and if anything happened while he was on my land I would be very annoyed. They said he wont be there again. The other lads parents would be a total no go area

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭delboythedub

_Brian wrote: »

Call to parents telling them it's not on and follow up if necessary with a registered letter. Don't wait for an accidental injury to a third party.

Advertisement