Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacksawing Threaded Bolts?

Options
  • 30-10-2020 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

I've used some cup bolts. Only, the ends protruding from the job are a bit longer than I'd prefer.

I have my beloved and trusty Sawzall. That thing'll go through these 10's like butter!

Just wanted some reassurance, please, that sawing through a thread won't make it incompatible with the factory thread of the nut?

Only, a couple ~ out of a dozen ~ shop bought pairings gave me trouble. Nut just didn't want to go on. Dunno why. Had to put vice grips on the bolt head. Don't want to recreate that situation a dozen times!

Is it safe ....?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

catch it in a vice.
    put the nut on first then cut it off. when you take off the nut it will fix the threads.

i would use a grinder with a skinny disk and then a flap disk to tidy it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

You absolute beauty!!! Thank you! :D

:D Dunnit!

How have I lived all these years without my beloved 'Sawzall'?! :o

Cut a couple of bits of wood, to make a 'coat' for the bolts, save the vice wrecking the entire threads. Put the nut on, where it would go. Where it was simply having none of it, I just measured with my 'original' marked nut and bolt.

Sawzall was, of course, Amazing! Two or three bolts cut ends needed a kiss from the file. But, I now have twenty nuts and bolts, suitably shortened, which go together perfectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

A thread about cutting bolts.... Can it get any worse...

Well, you're clearly someone who 'Does It Himself' on a very regular basis.

Thanks for your useful input.

• Advertisement

Stigura wrote: »
    Well, you're clearly someone who 'Does It Himself' on a very regular basis.

Thanks for your useful input.

Pick up hacksaw, cut bolt. First year in the Tec covered that one... Are people that sheltered and lacking in confidence that they can't cut a bolt? The world is becoming a very sad place indeed.
    My son who lives in the UK messaged me in a major panic he only had one brake light, I told him he needed a bulb and no he didn't need to bring it to the garage, read the manual and it's very straightforward to change.

Give vent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

CoBo55 wrote: »
    A thread about cutting bolts.... Can it get any worse...

It's a Diy fourm , there's always an alternative way of doing stuff that might seem unnecessary even silly to one application but on the odd occasion probably the only and perfect option on another. I'm always curious to new and stupid ways of doing things. Just might come in handy some day.
    I enjoy Stigura's posts , I've an image of a lad with the best of intentions but a preference for a ball ended hammer. No offence intended

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

First year in the Tec covered that one...
    Stig didn't go to a "Tec" cos he was too busy trying to reconcile quantum mechanics with classical hitting things with hammers.

We each have different callings.

Lumen wrote: »
    Stig didn't go to a "Tec" cos he was too busy trying to reconcile quantum mechanics with classical hitting things with hammers.

We each have different callings.

He shouldn't have an electric saw...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,465 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You can use this to chamfer the end as well after cutting:
    External Deburr/Chamfer Tool 3-19mm
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NDSQGVQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow! Thank You, Astrofool :)

Now, That's the sort of intelligent, informed, non judgemental and practical response I always seek ~ and would look to provide myself; Where I know what I'm talking about. Thanks.

Now, let's all sit back and enjoy the antics of certain ~ I really don't know what to call, or categorise them as, me not being a Psychiatrist ~ members, as they lose the plot over anyone asking a question :D

Gotta love this place!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

He shouldn't have an electric saw...

CoBo55, your input on this thread is no longer required, therefore refrain from posting further.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

astrofool wrote: »
    You can use this to chamfer the end as well after cutting:
    External Deburr/Chamfer Tool 3-19mm
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NDSQGVQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    That's a pretty sweet piece of kit to be fair. I love to see very niche tools that you might only use once in a blue moon, but without them you'd be in trouble.

delly wrote: »
    That's a pretty sweet piece of kit to be fair. I love to see very niche tools that you might only use once in a blue moon, but without them you'd be in trouble.

Exactly! Tools or 'Tricks'. My philosophy has long since been; " Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it! "

Hands up who else has a Japanese Rasp? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Exactly! Tools or 'Tricks'. My philosophy has long since been; " Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it! "

im a great believer in that myself.

i dont have a japanese file. whats special about them.
    i do have a thread file which is very handy if the threads on a bolt get dammaged

Better to be looking at it than for it.

Japanese Rasp? I'm a big fan of the lunatic / genius which is Eric of " Hand Tool Rescue ", on the chube.

So, one day, as I'm ferreting through his stuff I come across this intriguing looking object I can't fathom. So, I mail him and ask what it is. He tells me it's a 'Japanese Rasp'.

I look into it (Again, on chube) and, having quite the thing for things Japanese anyway, promptly grab one off Amazon.

Reassuringly expensive, and wonderfully made in Japan. It's, basically, what a " Surform " / Wood Butcher always tried ~ dreadfully poorly ~ to imitate.

It's really one of those tools ye need to have ~ to reach for, when the odd occasion arises. That's when ye'll smugly smile, under ye breath. Thinking, once again, how cool it is to own just such a tool :)

Advertisement