Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Essential Gear

• 30-10-2020 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭ cletus

Good morning. It would seem that this forum is relatively quiet, but I thought I'd start this thread anyway, and see what sort of responses I garner

I've been fluteing arond on the internet, watching videos, reading blogs, and I see a lot of "Top 5 essential items for Kayaking", or variations on the theme. Some go far beyond 5, to the point that I wonder if they tow a second kayak behind them to carry all the stuff.

With all that being said, what are the items posters on here would consider essential? Obviously there is a wide arraay of types of kayaking, so maybe include what it is you do?

I wont include a list myself, as I haven't been kayaking long enough to have whittled down my "essentials" yet. I will say that its completely recreational kayaking I'm doing, on a sit on top kayak

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ Romer

In my case, for both WW and Sea Kayaking I will always bring the following:

Kayak, Paddle, Spray Deck, Helmet.
    Clothing for whatever conditions dictate. (Dry Suit, Shorty Cag, Board Shorts and t-shirt, etc)

On my person:
    In the PFD:
    Knife
    Basic First Aid Stuff
    Closed Sling and 2 screw gate carabiners
    Whistle attached to the shoulder strap of the PFD
    Gumi Bears or something similar

Closed Sling with a wire gate carabiner tucked between the PFD and Spray Deck

In the Boat:
    Spare Split Paddles
    Throw Rope
    Dry Bag with full First Aid kit
    Water
    Snacks

For Sea Kayaking I'd also have either a Chart or at least an OSI map of the coast I'm on. And maybe one of those hand pump things (depends on the company I keep as some get shirty if you don't have one with).

That's what I consider my "Basic Load". It gets modified form time to time depending on circumstances, location, type of group I'm with, etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭ pullandbang

cletus wrote: »
    I will say that its completely recreational kayaking I'm doing, on a sit on top kayak

You don't need a spray deck for a SOT kayak.
    You do however need the following as a minimum.

PFD - not a self inflating one - No brainer
    Drysuit
    Knife
    VHF Radio (at sea or big lakes)
    Mobile phone in waterproof cover.
    First Aid kit
    Whistle on the PFD
    Compass

Optional Extras;
    Map
    GPS
    Spare paddle if possible
    Bottle of water
    Snacks
    Suncream
    Sunglasses
    Baseball cap.

Most importantly, try not paddle alone - min of two out together.
    Tell someone what time you expect to be back.

Even more importantly, you need to be able to self rescue confidently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭ cletus

Thanks for the responses so far.

Yeah, SOT, so no spray deck. I haven't been out on the sea (nor am I likely to be any time soon). I've been on a combination of canals and slow moving river.

Have the PFD, and picked up a knife recently. Don't have either a wetsuit or a drysuit. I've been out in board shorts and tee shirt. I've no issues with self rescue. Have a small first aid kit too.

I was trying to see were there other obvious things I was missing. Half thinking of making/getting a throw bag.

Advertisement