Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal housing and dosing

Options
  • 30-10-2020 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

I have 15 animals going into a slatted shed this weekend.

Just wondering the best time to dose them? A week or 2 after they have been put in?

I have lefavas diamond used in previous years.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lefavas Diamond is a stomach fluke drench. Unless you have a clinical issue with stomach fluke there should be no need to do it.

However you have it and you probaby need to use it up. You have to adopt a two dose strategy. The reason for this is LD only kills mature fluke at the 10 week stage. If you wanted a single dose you have to wait 8-10 weeks before dosing.

Dose as soon as possible after housing and again in early January in ten weeks time

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭irishguy19772

Thanks Bass. I think I may be out of it at this stage so was going to get some new stuff. A drench would be preferable as I find easier.
    Lefavas Diamond is a stomach fluke drench. Unless you have a clinical issue with stomach fluke there should be no need to do it.

However you have it and you probaby need to use it up. You have to adopt a two dose strategy. The reason for this is LD only kills mature fluke at the 10 week stage. If you wanted a single dose you have to wait 8-10 weeks before dosing.

Dose as soon as possible after housing and again in early January in ten weeks time

Thanks Bass. I think I may be out of it at this stage so was going to get some new stuff. A drench would be preferable as I find easier.

I use an avermectin super/plus and a two dose strategy. It controls lice as well to an extent. I dose cattle on housing ( with on 3-5 days) and again mid January. I buy the Bimectin plus, Anime Super. This year I got Topmec super. 1.25L off agridirect for about 175 euro. That will do about 70 cattle 400-450 kgs twice. Cost 2.5 euro/ head

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭50HX

Do they need to be dosed?

Maybe do a pooled dung sample and test first

There's too much blanket dosing happening imo

50HX wrote: »
    Do they need to be dosed?

Maybe do a pooled dung sample and test first

There's too much blanket dosing happening imo

That grand in theory. But of all dosing winter dosing is the most important. As cattle need to be finished sub 30 months ideally it leaves little room for chance.

I run a store to finish system. If one animal in ten fails to thrive it costs more than the siding cost. My dosing system is based on buying 350-450 kg stores at 18-20 months and the odd 30 months old one. I can guarantee you that if I send a sample back I have a fluke issue.

Over the time I have I for about 3-5 times. I dose when I buy. When housed I dose( some cattle are house d on arrival ) and again 10 weeks after housing. On turnout cattle are dosed 6-8 weeks after turning out. If they are still there in September I will dose again.

Pooled samples are grand in theory but you have to deal with the reality of a small margin business. I always over dose by 50 kgs .

Irishguy is using LD. That suggests extremely wet land land a two dose strategy at housing is essential

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement