Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle Aisle Jamboree RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ah I pity. I always go to pick up things I’d never think of otherwise. I have a bag full of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Never saw the attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"RIP" is a bit overkill..
    Discount supermarket chains Lidl and Aldi have said that they are to stop selling non-essential items while the country is under Level 5 Covid-19 restrictions.

They said: “In line with Government guidance, we have decided to postpone all non-essential product Specialbuy promotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You clearly don't understand how to snappy title. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,515 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Same floorspace it's in, don't really understand the restriction, doubt many people go specifically to Aldi/Lidl for the middle aisle offerings. Being able to source these items now reduces the need to shop elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Good work boots for 20 euro is easily a reason to go in regardless of buying groceries

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

So everyone starts shopping online and never goes into physical shops again.

Irish retailers are dumb.

At least letting other shops sell things keeps customers in the habit of buying in shops on the street.

They are killing their own trade.

I mean its saving me so much stress this year i have my shopping done all online already. I didn't have to lug things home.

I will only hit the jan sales online too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,515 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Good work boots for 20 euro is easily a reason to go in regardless of buying groceries

And if they can't buy work boots they are out of a job.

I mean what is restaurants said ..hey food shops have an unfair advantage ....you should only let them sell potatoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Ridiculous regulations by people who are out of touch with reality. How many cases came from people buying a drill they don't need in Lidl? Zero. How many cases caused by people off their tits on booze still on sale in Lidl?

• Advertisement

And if they can't buy work boots they are out of a job.

Sure they can go into Woodies and buy them for twice/thrice as much! Let them eat cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

One thing is for sure, Online buying this Christmas mostly Amazon is going to do savage blow to shops here.

They would want to set up a an Amazon style thing asap with Irish shops only to help local shops stay open in the background.

Worst of all it, will only add more to the online shopping culture.

I mean what is restaurants said ..hey food shops have an unfair advantage ....you should only let them sell potatoes!

I could live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've been saying it for years, but online is the future. There's too many of the same types of retail shops around anyway. No government handouts when the upholstery business went tits up after buying a new couch was cheaper than having it repaired. Eventually the cities will be mainly pubs/restaurants and normal businesses not open to the public/non-retail.

Just my 2 cents. Even the shops I used to frequent are pushing for online, and it should result in cheaper products as there are less overheads for the company if no retail outlet to pay for/maintain. Also haven't set a foot inside Aldi/Lidl since the initial lockdown. When they opened I went to go into one, saw the crowd and said nope. Any time I've passed one since, it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

There goes the one highlight of my already depressing week, I bought some amount of stuff in Lidl and Aldi this year leading me into several DIY jobs which kept me motivated and ticking over. I would look forward to take a look around and find some bargain. Online shopping is more expensive unless you buy tat from Wish or Aliexpress and are happy to wait 5-6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

SAy it aint so......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

go on the jamboree

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why the ambiguity about clothing ? If you walk into Lidl or Aldi not wearing any you’ll have a cast of employees, shoppers and the handyman keen to remind you that they are essential, VERY essential..
    The fact both stores are primarily supermarkets means they should be allowed... fûck what the clothing stores think... the consumer and the health situation need to take priority...

What if an older person or any of us for that matter realizes they need a raincoat, go to Aldi or Lidl for their grocery shopping, but now can’t pick up a raincoat because xxxx number of high street clothing stores are up in arms ! They are calling or influencing the inability for somebody not being able to get a raincoat, keep dry and warm... now the government is facilitating that... fûcking corrupt kip of a country.

theguzman wrote: »
    There goes the one highlight of my already depressing week, I bought some amount of stuff in Lidl and Aldi this year leading me into several DIY jobs which kept me motivated and ticking over. I would look forward to take a look around and find some bargain. Online shopping is more expensive unless you buy tat from Wish or Aliexpress and are happy to wait 5-6 weeks.
    more like 5 to 6 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

more like 5 to 6 days

Anything I ever ordered from Aliexpress or Wish takes a month minimum, Amazon is quicker but you pay double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Same floorspace it's in, don't really understand the restriction, doubt many people go specifically to Aldi/Lidl for the middle aisle offerings. Being able to source these items now reduces the need to shop elsewhere.

Let me introduce you to my father!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Tuco88 wrote: »
    One thing is for sure, Online buying this Christmas mostly Amazon is going to do savage blow to shops here.

They would want to set up a an Amazon style thing asap with Irish shops only to help local shops stay open in the background.

Worst of all it, will only add more to the online shopping culture.

There ya go, for starters...

Two hundred Irish retailers for all your Christmas shopping

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/two-hundred-irish-retailers-for-all-your-online-christmas-shopping-1.4386351?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I think what he meant was not like a marketplace. Say I want a copy of the latest Avengers DVD. I put this into the site and up pops every Irish retailer with it and their price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I wish they'd get rid of that stuff altogether and concentrate on selling actual food and cleaning items etc.
    Most of the stuff they have is rubbish and who in their right mind would buy electrical products in their stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Never saw the attraction.

But you felt the need to click on the thread and comment though!:confused::confused:

But you felt the need to click on the thread and comment though!:confused::confused:

Correct. No need to be confused. For a start the thread title makes no mention of Lidl / Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I wish they'd get rid of that stuff altogether and concentrate on selling actual food and cleaning items etc.
    Most of the stuff they have is rubbish and who in their right mind would buy electrical products in their stores.
    Me. The silvercrest stuff is decent quality gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh you mean middle AISLE! Thought "middle isle " was a place in Ireland!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ah I loved the middle row. Never know what you can find. Go in for some milk, come out with some scuba gear and a chainsaw.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement