Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage making

Options
  • 28-10-2020 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Would Italian ryegrass be good for silage or is there too many problems with it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Would Italian ryegrass be good for silage or is there too many problems with it

Had a good bit of it here not too long ago

I wouldn't sow it again tbh, its can go wrong in a few days if you dont get it cut
    If you cut it when it's nice and leafy it wilts to feck all

Better off with perenial ryegrass imo, much more forgiving and you can get a bigger yield of lush grass that doesn't wilt to nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ttttttttytttty

Had a good bit of it here not too long ago

I wouldn't sow it again tbh, its can go wrong in a few days if you dont get it cut
    If you cut it when it's nice and leafy it wilts to feck all

Better off with perenial ryegrass imo, much more forgiving and you can get a bigger yield of lush grass that doesn't wilt to nothing

Was it very persistent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭older by the day

A lot of lads that ain't fond of work use it for over seeding around here. (Including me). Always takes well and I see the milk collection increases when they go into those fields. Might not be as good as per rye grass but it does grow fast, but can go hayee fast.

Was it very persistent ?

If you poach it you kill it, itll die out after 3 ot 4 years and you'll be left with a ley of meadow fescue

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If for silage you'll have to mow it 4 times.

• Advertisement

If you poach it you kill it, itll die out after 3 ot 4 years and you'll be left with a ley of meadow fescue

Reseed with perennial ryegrass be right option then for better quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

For silage and I'm not an expert on the varieties but make sure there is one standing variety to keep up the sward and leave light in.

Water John wrote: »
    For silage and I'm not an expert on the varieties but make sure there is one standing variety to keep up the sward and leave light in.

That would probably a mix with 75% tetraploids and rest diploid for ground cover
    We can get 20t of DM per ha from perennial rye grass silage crops over 3 cuts

A lot of lads that ain't fond of work use it for over seeding around here. (Including me). Always takes well and I see the milk collection increases when they go into those fields. Might not be as good as per rye grass but it does grow fast, but can go hayee fast.

Do u graze it often?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Used grow it hear. The stuff would jump out of the ground. It doesn't like poaching by animals and when it comes to making silage it might look like your going to have a great crop when it's being cut but it melts away when it dries out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is it higher in protein? I heard it was.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement