Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiators not warming up

Options
  • 28-10-2020 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

We renovated this year.
    Ripped out the old copper pipes and had a new pex heating circuit installed in March. Aluminium rads each fed direct through a manifold system upstairs and downstairs.
    Powered by an air to water heat pump.
    We moved in last month but only switched on and set the heating this week and the upstairs rads aren't getting warm. Downstairs is working great.

The flow manifold for upstairs is getting hot to the touch but the return isn't and none of the rads are.
    So I am thinking there is a decent airlock preventing the flow reaching the rads.

My plumber who installed is out of action with his back and not answering calls but texted back to promise faithfully i'm top of the list when he returns to work. But I have no idea when that will be and i'm reluctant to call someone else.
    I have bled air from all the rads and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Should I keep repeating this?
    Can anyone give me a checklist of other actions I can try please?

New baby in the house... SOS before the wife murders me!!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Are you getting water out of the bleed screw on upstairs rads?
    What reading on the pressure gauge?
    Is the thermostat turned up?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Interested Bystander

Wearb wrote: »
    Are you getting water out of the bleed screw on upstairs rads?
    What reading on the pressure gauge?
    Is the thermostat turned up?

Yes when I bled them there was a decent bit of air in each to begin with but I thought that was normal after installation.
    Water now flowing from bleed screw on each rad.

Pressure gauge is at 1.5 bar or so I think. Can confirm this later.

Valves are all open and as mentioned the rads are all heating up downstairs as well as the flow manifold for upstairs so the heat pump is doing its job ok too.

There is probably an automatic air vent on that upstairs system. If you can find it, check to see if the cap is open on it.

It could be air still in there.
    It could be an air locked circulating pump or even not working.
    You need (or have someone do it) to verify that there is a call for heat on that zone and that the circulating pump is working as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Interested Bystander

Wearb wrote: »
    There is probably an automatic air vent on that upstairs system. If you can find it, check to see if the cap is open on it.

It could be air still in there.
    It could be an air locked circulating pump or even not working.
    You need (or have someone do it) to verify that there is a call for heat on that zone and that the circulating pump is working as it should.

What would an automatic air vent look like?
    And where are they usually fitted?
    Not sure that my system has a circulating pump, I think the heat pump takes care of that.

What would an automatic air vent look like?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92193066&postcount=19 It's the thing that the brown/orange arrow points to.
    And where are they usually fitted? In the hot press or near the upstairs manifold
    Not sure that my system has a circulating pump, I think the heat pump takes care of that.
    I dont know your system, but most likely a couple or more pumps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭jimf

do you have room stats fitted

Advertisement