Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning to build

Options
  • 28-10-2020 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

We don't really know where to start. What is the initial step to get started when building a house. We know what kind of a house we want to build and we have a site. Get plans drawn up and planning submitted then go for a mortgage? Or get plans drawn up and got for mortgage before submitting for planning. Trying to contact an engineer to do the plans up at the moment.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We don't really know where to start. What is the initial step to get started when building a house. We know what kind of a house we want to build and we have a site. Get plans drawn up and planning submitted then go for a mortgage? Or get plans drawn up and got for mortgage before submitting for planning. Trying to contact an engineer to do the plans up at the moment.

Banks won’t mortgage until planning is in place.
    You need to have a budget first.

Talk to the bank. See what they will give you.
    See what you have to have up front.
    See what that covers?

Then work out how you can build to your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hereford202

Ok thanks. Get a rough estimate from the bank of 290000. Which we would be hoping to not need. Hoping to build for 240000/250000ish. Maybe we're dreaming. Could def do the planning portion without mortgage and go from there. Get plans drawn up so is the first step.

Ok thanks. Get a rough estimate from the bank of 290000. Which we would be hoping to not need. Hoping to build for 240000/250000ish. Maybe we're dreaming. Could def do the planning portion without mortgage and go from there. Get plans drawn up so is the first step.

Planning. Has to be done first and out of your own pocket.
    Does the 290 have to cover everything, professional fees for supervision and contributions etc?

Ideally it will yes. When you say contributions are you talking about planning? Or water, esb aswell?
    And with professional fees..is this an engineer signing things off? Sorry if these questions seen stupid, trying to get a grasp on the whole process.

Ideally it will yes. When you say contributions are you talking about planning? Or water, esb aswell?
    And with professional fees..is this an engineer signing things off? Sorry if these questions seen stupid, trying to get a grasp on the whole process.

Planning contribution.
    ESB
    Water
    Gas?

Architect/engineer?
    BCAR
    Inspections, material approval and compliance.
    BER
    Air tightness testing.
    Certification.

• Advertisement

Would it be possible to maybe get the house to a move in standard for 100000-110000. Basic kitchen, toilet, shower and a bed would do. Pick away at the rest of it then.

Would it be possible to maybe get the house to a move in standard for 100000-110000. Basic kitchen, toilet, shower and a bed would do. Pick away at the rest of it then.

I don’t think so.
    You need full kitchen and full bathroom with bath to comply with building regs.
    Fees, Contributions and services and waste water might be 20-30k alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

almost ready to build myself. i was like you at the start, didnt know where to start. my steps were:

design - make sure you design strictly in accordance with your budget. this is really important and will save you untold potential pain later on. an architect will design but may need to bring in a QS to evaluate. make sure you budget for all the extras you will need on top of the build itself, they all add up. there's good posts on this forum you can look up. you could be looking at 40k+ extra here. stuff that you can't put into the mortgage: connection fees, engineers fees, stamp duty, appliances, furniture, etc. there's loads more i can't think of right now

planning - your architect firm may also do the planning pack for you. they will guide you through the process and all the documents you need. this can be longest stage depending on if the planning gets sent back for mistakes or requests for information. took me about 6 months in total from beginning to end.

construction drawings - unless you're home is very small and straightforward you will need construction quality drawings. this ensures contractors tendering for your house won't come in with crazy quotes all over the place. the more detail you specify the less room they have to put in expensive specs you don't want.

tender - you can do this yourself or use an engineer. i ended up doing it myself as my engineer was very slow. recommendations are absolutely essential. ask in work, your family, friends, etc. a good recommendation is worth its weight in gold. this can take some time as well, builders are very busy and in short supply right now. a lot are turning down work.

after this you will need to appoint an engineer to certifiy various build stages.

lastly you need a mortage - i think it's best to have your detailed costings from your chosen builder before going for a mortgage.

that's a very rough guide, i needed a few other things at various stages - percolation test for example. you can organise that yourself easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Firstly i would check with a local planning agent if you will get planning on the site, for example no point in progressing with anything else if your site is in a zone that requires certain applicants only and you dont qualify

Advertisement