Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fattening Cull Cows

Options
  • 28-10-2020 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Is there money in buying cull cows this time of the year and keeping them over the winter and sending them to the factory in the spring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

farmer2018 wrote: »
    Is there money in buying cull cows this time of the year and keeping them over the winter and sending them to the factory in the spring?

Short answer is no.
    Did it this time last year..made **** all
    And I sold before the big price collapse covid brought on
    Unless your buying a 1000 with a contract of min 30 cent on top of base ...that's a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Money in them all if you can buy them at the right price. Although they’d eat a lot of meal without putting on too much weight. If I was buying culls they’d be going back to grass and kill in June/July

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Money in them all if you can buy them at the right price. Although they’d eat a lot of meal without putting on too much weight. If I was buying culls they’d be going back to grass and kill in June/July
    They're still making stupid money in the marts
    Mortality and health problems are a way bigger problem with culls too

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

I saw good value today, around a €1 kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭Grueller

There will be a glut on the market next week after the end of the BDGP scheme. Lads have cows they are holding to avoid a penalty and these will hit the market. Hopefully the Nothern buyers put a floor under the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

trade seems to be tougher this week , but a lot of low flesh cover cows now on stream

we finish our own friesian culls here but we begin the process around sept. moving to a low p ration and & continue milking oad until Nov.

when dry they usually flesh up fairly fast on a moderate amount of meal and all gone before the end of feb.

doing this last couple of years, previously we found it too hard and costly if we continued milking flat out until now to finish ex shed

as caavanjack says ideally finished off grass next summer

80 cent a kilo is too much for the average fre cull cow out of a parlour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,414 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'd put cull cows and calves in the same bracket, lit od minding, watching and problems.

The list of things to go wrong is large.

As much of grass as you can.

I wouldn't feel comfortable having them.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

richie123 wrote: »
    80 cent a kilo is too much for the average fre cull cow out of a parlour

That type were making less.

Advertisement