Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Penetrations for Solar Evacuated Tubes

Options
  • 28-10-2020 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All,

Does anyone know which roof penetrations I should be using for solar evacuated tubes going through a standard tile roof? I have called into Heat Merchants and Chadwicks in Galway City but neither seemed to know. I saw a house in my housing estate lately with evacuated tubes on the roof (same roof type) and the roof penetrations through the tiles were very neat and inconspicuous compared to some of the other styles, with the lead sheet and silicone protrusion. This is the only type of flashing they had in both Heat Merchants and Chadwicks but neither were sure if it was suitable for solar evacuated tubes.
    From what I can gather, to use this type of flashing, a full tile has to be removed and then this has to be put in in place of the tile. It does not look like they did this on the house near to me. It seems as if they have somehow drilled a neat hole through the tile and somehow put the flow and return pipes through on either side. I could be wrong though because I'm not sure how this could be rain-proof it this was the case.

Also, when it comes to putting the pipes through the roof, is some of the pipe insulation removed to go through the hole or does the pipe go through with the insulation intact?

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

failover wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone know which roof penetrations I should be using for solar evacuated tubes going through a standard tile roof? I have called into Heat Merchants and Chadwicks in Galway City but neither seemed to know. I saw a house in my housing estate lately with evacuated tubes on the roof (same roof type) and the roof penetrations through the tiles were very neat and inconspicuous compared to some of the other styles, with the lead sheet and silicone protrusion. This is the only type of flashing they had in both Heat Merchants and Chadwicks but neither were sure if it was suitable for solar evacuated tubes.
    From what I can gather, to use this type of flashing, a full tile has to be removed and then this has to be put in in place of the tile. It does not look like they did this on the house near to me. It seems as if they have somehow drilled a neat hole through the tile and somehow put the flow and return pipes through on either side. I could be wrong though because I'm not sure how this could be rain-proof it this was the case.

Also, when it comes to putting the pipes through the roof, is some of the pipe insulation removed to go through the hole or does the pipe go through with the insulation intact?

Thanks a mil

Call into the house and ask them who did it and give them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 12 failover

xl500 wrote: »
    Call into the house and ask them who did it and give them a call
    I thought about that but I'm not sure how they might feel about strangers calling to their house unannounced during this lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 failover

Callan wrote: »
    I assume your referring to the likes of the below?

Thanks Callan! The links you gave me allowed me to find what I was looking for! I can't post a link but I'm pretty sure this will do the trick:

Klober Venduct Solar Thermal Outlet Kit for Tiles

Advertisement