Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Class War (one for the hard leftists)

Options
  • 28-10-2020 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Any other marxists/lefties out there feeling like there is a definite escalation of class warfare in the last 40 years with the neoliberal agenda and general corruption. Despite constantly being told by some that left wing politics are gaining popularity I just don't see it. All I see is Tory's in govt in England (even Blair was basically a tory), FFG in Ireland, Republican's in US (Dems are not any better), Netanyahu in Israel, mostly conservative neoliberal govts across Europe and the world. It feels like the capitalist class are really laying into the rest of us for the past 40 years without much pushback from the population.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Ah well, sure what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

.anon. wrote: »
    Ah well, sure what can you do.

Dunno, I feel a need to fight against it, like its in my DNA or something. Don't think I could just make a positive decision to just accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

It was a CLASS war, you should have seen it! Everybody was... fightin' and...

...it was CLASS!! You should have seen it!!! PURE CLASS!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,892 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My politics would be slightly left of center but the left have been bereft of political talent for a long time. As regards leadership especially... look at Labour..

Joan Burton is a thoroughly decent lady, excellent politician with strong convictions but not a leader, gets things done in her constituency, a great worker, not a leader.

Brendan Howlin again not a leader, but unlike Joan as inspiring and as genuine as wet wallpaper. Met the guy, arrogant man.

Eamon Gilmore, Pat Rabbite and Ruari Quinn, uninspiring.... severely so..

Left and Labour are well overdue a leader, of talent, substance and personality. They could have had a much greater say and impact on the political landscape had that been the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It was a CLASS war, you should have seen it! Everybody was... fightin' and...

...it was CLASS!! You should have seen it!!! PURE CLASS!

Deadly, so it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

haha never seen that before

The left is too divided.

When push comes to shove, the right are always happy to throw their principles (the few they have) to the wind and band together.

It's why Corbyn and Sanders failed, they weren't cutthroat enough.

I think the left is making steady progress in Ireland. Whether that manifests in anything tangible remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

paddythere wrote: »
    It feels like the capitalist class are really laying into the rest of us for the past 40 years without much pushback from the population.

€21.2 billion annually in social welfare spending, average earners paying a marginal tax rate of 51%, and you think the "capitalist class" is winning?

Invidious wrote: »
    €21.2 billion annually in social welfare spending, average earners paying a marginal tax rate of 51%, and you think the "capitalist class" is winning?

Average earners are not part of the capitalist class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There was no dole in the USSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Vic_08

That's just one segment of the working class paying through the nose to keep the other part relatively docile.

The capitalists are the ones paying 0% tax because they are "non residents".

Sure we are so in this together with the covid crisis that one of the first announcements made back in March was assurances that Non-Doms who were locked down here would be allowed keep their overseas resident status no matter how long they remained. Can't be having the likes of Dinny O'Brien paying extra tax at times like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

paddythere wrote: »
    Any other marxists/lefties out there feeling like there is a definite escalation of class warfare in the last 40 years with the neoliberal agenda and general corruption..... FFG in Ireland

I would say that political corruption in Ireland now is lower now than it was 40 years ago. At ranked 18 in the world is not bad at all. Also our taxation system is highly progressive .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I would not use the term "capitalism" to describe what we have here. Yes, we dip our toe in from time to time, and when we do, it has hugely benefitted the country; but as a whole, we are centre-left at heart (economically).

The fact that our political parties range from far-left to centre really says it all.

The average Irish person wouldn't recognise capitalism if it came up and kicked them in the ass (or gave them the opportunity to make a decent life for themselves as the case may be).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

There was no dole in the USSR.

True. The superstate would find something for you to do.

But there was no way you were going anywhere with it, no matter how hard you tried to work.

The human soul doesn't work that way. Robots maybe. And that in a nutshell is why there is no more USSR.

Irish left is no longer about economics and unsexy issues like zero hour contracts. They want the sexy stuff like identity clickbait stuff. They see that as a pressing justice matter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

AH is not the place for such discussion OP, I suggest the Humanities Forum or perhaps Politics.

Reminder to read their charter before posting.

This thread however is closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement