Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radon mitigation in an old house

Options
  • 27-10-2020 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Recently purchased a house that was built 1960s. I got some 3 month radon testers which showed very high levels of radon.

I installed trickle vents in the windows. A quarter of the rooms in the house have a suspended timber floor and I drilled through the vent bricks from outside to improve the airflow.

After that I got another set of 3 month radon testers. Radon levels have halved but are still above the recommended level.

I'm now thinking of installing a radon sump by digging externally to the house to under the foundations and installing a duct to an above ground fan.

I would be interested in people's experiences with reducing radon in an old house and the effectiveness of a sump and fan as a solution.

Advertisement