Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teagasc dairy startup

Options
  • 27-10-2020 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone done this course.
    Is it worth doing.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Hi,

Has anyone done this course.
    Is it worth doing.

Thanks

Yes, I have just done it. The answer is yes & no. First off you need a good facilitator, someone who understands and ideally who has done it. My first facilitator got into cows but no good with imparting information and brutal at planning. I had a number of rows with him. The second facilitator the group got is younger than me and from a beef background. A lovely fella but no experience if I'm being honest. Our host farmer was brilliant and answered all the questions as best he could.

The course is really geared towards people who are thinking about getting into cows and who don't really know much about them. I learned a lot off the group more so than Teagasc. Do I think the course benefited me, no. However the people I have met doing the course have helped me hugely.

It's not cheap either. If you are doing it, you may aswell get the farm business plan drawn up, getting it done independently isn't cheap.

Advertisement