Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving Monitor Options?

Options
  • 27-10-2020 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

OK so I have a really old system. No idea what name is anymore but it has packed it in. Also it just projected to a screen in room, not on phone or anything. Checking around and pricing seems very expensive.

I am not technical but my brother is, for my home he set up a mesh wifi so I have wifi all around the house. I was wondering if I got a cheapish wifi camera and then put a mesh wifi box in house, then one in milking parlour and then one into calfing shed would this work? has anyone done similar? the distance is not huge.

Anyone use other options? thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

WhoamI2022 wrote: »
    OK so I have a really old system. No idea what name is anymore but it has packed it in. Also it just projected to a screen in room, not on phone or anything. Checking around and pricing seems very expensive.

I am not technical but my brother is, for my home he set up a mesh wifi so I have wifi all around the house. I was wondering if I got a cheapish wifi camera and then put a mesh wifi box in house, then one in milking parlour and then one into calfing shed would this work? has anyone done similar? the distance is not huge.

What are you looking for?
    And how much are you willing to spend?
    Are you ok to install yourself?

You could be setup with CCTV from less than €40 to over €600. A good starting point is knowing what you want. A static camera looking at one pen, multiple static cameras looking at multiple pens or a PTZ camera that can be mounted Central and can rotate and zoom to look into multiple pens.

Cheap cameras tend to have poor night vision but if leaving a light on is an option that may not matter. I use some cheap cameras and a cheap smart switch to turn on/off lights remotely.

Hard to know if your mesh system will work without knowing distances but there are better outdoor point to point WiFi devices available for this purpose. Running a cable is usually a better option but may not be the easiest depending on your yard layout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭WhoamI2022

emaherx wrote: »
    What are you looking for?
    And how much are you willing to spend?
    Are you ok to install yourself?

You could be setup with CCTV from less than €40 to over €600. A good starting point is knowing what you want. A static camera looking at one pen, multiple static cameras looking at multiple pens or a PTZ camera that can be mounted Central and can rotate and zoom to look into multiple pens.

Cheap cameras tend to have poor night vision but if leaving a light on is an option that may not matter. I use some cheap cameras and a cheap smart switch to turn on/off lights remotely.

Hard to know if your mesh system will work without knowing distances but there are better outdoor point to point WiFi devices available for this purpose. Running a cable is usually a better option but may not be the easiest depending on your yard layout.

Lights are on, brother paid I think 200 euro for two Wi-Fi camera he uses for security around the house. That’s why I came up with idea

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Micey.ie

WhoamI2022 wrote: »

MooCall

Advertisement