Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best quad

Options
  • 27-10-2020 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

have 4000-5000 to spend on a used quad,looking for automatic or electric gear change and selectable 2 and 4 wheel drive..what good and what should be avoided does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

have 4000-5000 to spend on a used quad,looking for automatic or electric gear change and selectable 2 and 4 wheel drive..what good and what should be avoided does anyone know?

Honda, Honda, Honda.

I've owned honda quads sine 2001.

My 2001 450 Foreman is still going (sold to a friend back in 2006).

I have a TRX680 and its fantastic, but overkill for general farm work.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Really depends on what you want it for.Heavy towing will need a bigger bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

I’m looking for a reasonably priced Honda at the moment, seen a few 250trx’s on done deal for the 3k Mark. What should I be looking out for. Just light farm work really. No serious climbing or pulling. A bag or 2 of ration at most. Bringing cows in etc. Looks fresh https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26160171

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

staples7 wrote: »
    I’m looking for a reasonably priced Honda at the moment, seen a few 250trx’s on done deal for the 3k Mark. What should I be looking out for. Just light farm work really. No serious climbing or pulling. A bag or 2 of ration at most. Bringing cows in etc. Looks fresh https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26160171

I see that on done deal that the person selling is looking for a chassis for a buggy. Was that quad resprayed. Wheels and other bits look to be like new.

Have a yahama 450 here no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

staples7 wrote: »

They're not rated to carry that much think it's around 15kg front and 30kg rear if you put two bags on it you'll know about it.

Went from a 350 fourtrax to trx250 here.

The 250 is considerably less stable cornering.
    The load shelves are much smaller.
    Dry farm here but it still struggles in mud.
    Manual shift is a pain, first and second gear are useless.
    It doesn't have a fuel gage/gear indicator/rev counter.

Do you want to buy mine altogether :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Would it be mad to buy a used quad - considering the punishment they get?

Also want to buy a quad but want to have a roll cage on it for safety. This doesn't seem to be something that's easily available. Have no interest in a gator.

Earnshaw wrote: »
    Would it be mad to buy a used quad - considering the punishment they get?

Also want to buy a quad but want to have a roll cage on it for safety. This doesn't seem to be something that's easily available. Have no interest in a gator.

They're not available as they make them less safe.

Only experience here is with Yamaha quads. Would go 500cc + as they tend to be better for ground clearance. Other than that they have all the OP is looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

+1 for buying new.

Bought a yamaha grizzly 350 in 2008. Still going like new.

Had a few crashes on it when I was young and when we first got it. Soon copped on after this.

No issues at all during the years. We use it for light enough work. Would advise servicing it and try not to give it too much hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fluppen

Yamaha 450 here driving it since the early 2000s no issues except the back brake which is exposed to mud and dirt causing the break piston to stick if it gets muddy and I'm too lazy to wash it. Bloody nuisance so if looking I would try get one with sealed brake parts.
    Used to tow a trailer with a round bale, spread fert and chain harrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

On my second Honda foreman 500 here. Cant fault it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Bought first quad here in 2000 a Honda 450 have bought 3 more since all Hondas 500cc's. I'd suggest to anyone to buy new if possible if you can afford to. Second hand quads can be troublesome money pits ..my neighbour can testify to unfortunately.

Thinking new quad is best alright. Does it add much to the insurance cost though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

bought a 2012 honda 500 in the end.very clean quad just over 1000hrs on it and 1 elderly owner from new..seem to be a very powerful bike compared to the 350 i had previously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

For proper work, you'd really need to be going 450cc or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Pkiernan wrote: »
    For proper work, you'd really need to be going 450cc or higher.

And have good tyres. Heavily worn tyres in wet grassland are useless...

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

bought a 2012 honda 500 in the end.very clean quad just over 1000hrs on it and 1 elderly owner from new..seem to be a very powerful bike compared to the 350 i had previously

I have the same and its a great machine. Enough power for half ton spreader no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

How big of a quad would you need cc wise to pull a fertilizer spreader and half tonne of fertilizer in it ? I’m guessing minimum 500cc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fluppen

My yamaha 450 pulled the half tonne spreader no problem, hills were an issue though as fert spilled out of the spreader when full.

Is insurance mandatory for farm quads?

Advertisement