Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to add to a concrete base?

Options
  • 27-10-2020 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

So had someone but down a concrete base for a steel shed.
    However on reflection i should have gone slightly bigger.
    Have a 10*10ft shed identified however i'm about 5 inches to short and narrow on my current base.

What are my options to extend?
    Simply put down boards and add to current base? Simple as that or issues with that approach?

Note: I will be putting in a 2 inch layer once shed is installed and bolted down. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

Why don't you build a shutter around it in timber and pour some more concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

First check whats required of shed. Many steel sheds need a interior base higher than the footings.

Its going to be difficult to get a 5" strip to stay tight to the existing base. Look at much bigger, or a smaller shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

whizbang wrote: »
    First check whats required of shed. Many steel sheds need a interior base higher than the footings.

Its going to be difficult to get a 5" strip to stay tight to the existing base. Look at much bigger, or a smaller shed.

That was my fear is that the new strip would detach from original base.

The shed requires an additional base added internally once bolted in place.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

That was my fear is that the new strip would detach from original base.

The shed requires an additional base added internally once bolted in place.

thanks

Hi rodney, we had a steel shed last year. My concrete guy (also a friend and neighbour) said ok, but you're going to be bringing barrow loads of concrete into your new shed. Some is bound to splash on the shed.

On his advice we built the step at the same time as the slab. We got drawings off the firm to do that. Worked out well. Left a little gutter to fill in after, and saved an extra load of readymix.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe dig a deep H-shaped trench abutting the slab and stick some rebar into it, but only bring the concrete up to slab level on the side of the H.

That way the new concrete is braced and will be less likely fall away from the slab.

Alternatively, dig a channel out of the slab, tapering towards the edge, and connect with rebar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Purgative wrote: »
    Hi rodney, we had a steel shed last year. My concrete guy (also a friend and neighbour) said ok, but you're going to be bringing barrow loads of concrete into your new shed. Some is bound to splash on the shed.

On his advice we built the step at the same time as the slab. We got drawings off the firm to do that. Worked out well. Left a little gutter to fill in after, and saved an extra load of readymix.

Good thinking.

However, the internal slab is not structurally crucial to the shed so I just went with a 18 mm T&G OSB grade 3 timber floor on top of two layers of DPC, using pressure treated 2 by 2's, and a little gap around for ventilation.
    I didn't screw it down, the amount of gear keeps it well down:D

OP iff you have the gear, you could epoxy rebar into the side of the existing slab before you pour the strip, with some A142 mesh on top of the rebar.
    If you make it wider than five inches it will have a better chance of staying in place

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement