Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get a lock out of door, any tips?

Options
  • 27-10-2020 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

I need to change a lock on a bathroom door as its after becoming very stiff and some people ( teenagers, who value their privacy) have a habit of getting stuck on the inside.

Its the type with no key, with a knob on the inside and you can open with a flathead screw driver from the outside. (don't know technical name).

I can take the lock apart, remove the handles , take out screw holing it in place but for the life of me I cant take out the inner workings of it out of the door. It seems to be wedged in and there is nothing to grab onto.

Any body got any tips got get it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

take the handle off one side and slide out the square metal bar which connects the handles and lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

take the handle off one side and slide out the square metal bar which connects the handles and lock.

I've that bar out already , its more a question of how do i "pull" or get a grab on the mortise to get it out of the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

I think I get what you're saying. You have disconnected everything you need to disconnect, but you just can't grab it to pull it out, and it's a bit stuck, correct? If so, then you may have some luck if the hole through the wood around the little square hole for the metal bar is larger than the square hole itself. If so, put the metal bar back in, put one hand on either end of it and pull towards the edge of the door. That might move it enough mm to get something in behind it, or even to unwedge it. If that's not enough, then take the metal bar back out, place the end of a screwdriver in the square hole at an angle and try to tap the lock towards the edge of the door. (Hope those instructions make sense.)

biketard wrote: »
    I think I get what you're saying. You have disconnected everything you need to disconnect, but you just can't grab it to pull it out, and it's a bit stuck, correct? If so, then you may have some luck if the hole through the wood around the little square hole for the metal bar is larger than the square hole itself. If so, put the metal bar back in, put one hand on either end of it and pull towards the edge of the door. That might move it enough mm to get something in behind it, or even to unwedge it. If that's not enough, then take the metal bar back out, place the end of a screwdriver in the square hole at an angle and try to tap the lock towards the edge of the door. (Hope those instructions make sense.)

Yes, you're correct. that's what i was trying to say, thanks.

Will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I need to change a lock on a bathroom door as its after becoming very stiff and some people ( teenagers, who value their privacy) have a habit of getting stuck on the inside.

Its the type with no key, with a knob on the inside and you can open with a flathead screw driver from the outside. (don't know technical name).

I can take the lock apart, remove the handles , take out screw holing it in place but for the life of me I cant take out the inner workings of it out of the door. It seems to be wedged in and there is nothing to grab onto.

Any body got any tips got get it out.

That happened to us. What had happened was that the bar had rounded making the lock difficult to operate.

Found the same one on Amazon and then just replaced one side and the bar. Works fine now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea there is probably just paint holding it in or someone didn't make enough clearance for the lock when installing it and tapped it in.

You are going to have to prise it out. You can do this from where the handle sits to prevent damage to the face of the door. Once you get a little movement you'll be able to get a screw driver in. If it is wedged like that into the door, use a chisel and remove some timer off the inside before re fitting.

Yes, you're correct. that's what i was trying to say, thanks.

Will try that.

Cool. Do please report back. Might have another thing to try if that doesn't work.

biketard wrote: »
    Cool. Do please report back. Might have another thing to try if that doesn't work.

Perfect got it out.

Used the smallest screwdriver I have and was able to pry it out. No issue once it started to move and hole cut for it was plenty big.

Swapped the locked ( from a less used door with no teenager issues ) and calm has been restored to house.

Thanks again.

Nice one, ShatterProof. Thanks for reporting back.

Advertisement