Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Replace Water Heating with Nest Thermostat

Options
  • 27-10-2020 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

I live in an apartment with electric storage heating where the Nest Thermostat is not an option.

Our water is heated with Horsemann Quartz E7 (2 Hour) Water Heating Control. (PDF link of manual)

By default it is heating our water for far too long and the minimum we can set it is 4 hours, if we can get the cover off and change that. I'm not sure we should.

But we're wondering if anyone can tell us if that can actually be replaced somehow with a smart water heating controller and in particular, Nest Thermostat?

Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I would think that the nest could indeed control the electric hot water but I doubt it is rated for an immersion. Your immersion can be 2 to 3.5kw. I'm pretty sure that it would require a 16amp load rating but happy to be corrected on that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

As Sleeper says, it's way too much of a load for it. You could do it using a contactor.

Do you want me to move this to the Electrical forum?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

As per above, you need to fit a contactor on the supply for the immersion. This could be fitted in the distribution board by an electrician or local to the immersion heater.

I've a similar setup on zone 2 of my hive and it works perfectly. I can boost it remotely via the app or via the main controller/thermostat.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

btw It would be a huge waste of a Nest to use it like this. You would be getting no use out of the thermostat part of it.

You could use a sonoff, belkin, tp link etc to do this.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement