Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a washer?

Options
  • 26-10-2020 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to buy a rubber washer with an internal diameter of 40mm.
    I've tried Woodies, B&Q and Screwfix.
    Anyone got any other suggestions?
    I'm based in West Dublin.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

What's it for? i.e. could you cut out one?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

Wearb wrote: »
    What's it for? i.e. could you cut out one?

It's for an aquarium that I bought 2nd hand.
    It's a sump system set up, so the aquarium on display is connected to another tank below which holds all the filters and heaters etc...
    The top tank of water is connected to the tank below by a down pipe.
    Where the top half of the pipe meets the glass at the bottom there is a washer on the glass and on on the opposite side of the glass (under the aquarium) where the bottom pipe screws up into the top pipe fitting there should be another washer but there isn't.
    I only have one of the washers and it's gone quite hard.

I filled the aquarium last night and water was coming in at the join.

The previous owner had siliconed the join at the glass so I went about removing all the old silicone as he broke all the silicone up when taking the tank apart to sell to me.

I think the old silicone was interfering with the seal of the pipe to the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭con747

j14 wrote: »
    It's for an aquarium that I bought 2nd hand.
    It's a sump system set up, so the aquarium on display is connected to another tank below which holds all the filters and heaters etc...
    The top tank of water is connected to the tank below by a down pipe.
    Where the top half of the pipe meets the glass at the bottom there is a washer on the glass and on on the opposite side of the glass (under the aquarium) where the bottom pipe screws up into the top pipe fitting there should be another washer but there isn't.
    I only have one of the washers and it's gone quite hard.

I filled the aquarium last night and water was coming in at the join.

The previous owner had siliconed the join at the glass so I went about removing all the old silicone as he broke all the silicone up when taking the tank apart to sell to me.

I think the old silicone was interfering with the seal of the pipe to the glass.

These are on the west side, might have something. http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/Fluval-Spares/Spare-Parts/801

Maybe try Micks garage in 50 Park W Rd, Park West Industrial Park, Dublin, might have something from a car to suit.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    These are on the west side, might have something. http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/Fluval-Spares/Spare-Parts/801

Maybe try Micks garage in 50 Park W Rd, Park West Industrial Park, Dublin, might have something from a car to suit.

Thanks for the reply. My plan was to call to Seahorse in the morning and see if they had anything. Thanks again for taking the time to read my query.

• Advertisement

You might be able to use a bath/wash-hand basin/shower trap waster washer to do the job. Bring the pipe or existing washer to a regular plumbing supplier and show them what you want.

If stuck, call to a tyre place and get an old tube and cut one out.

You might be able to use a bath/wash-hand basin/shower trap waster washer to do the job. Bring the pipe or existing washer to a regular plumbing supplier and show them what you want.

Great idea about the tyre. Any tips on a plumbing supplier?

j14 wrote: »

Heatmerchants, chadwicks, Dublin providers, bathroom shops.

Advertisement