Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Suddenly Died

Options
  • 26-10-2020 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bought a Lenovo 330S-14IKB ideapad about a year ago from box.co.uk. Was given to the mother a few months ago and it's after dieing suddenly enough now. About two days ago she went to turn it on and got nothing. Tried to plug it in and got nothing.

No indicator light when plugged in to charge, no sounds/any reaction to suggest anything going at all. Tried doing a few capacitor discharges but did nothing for it. I'm thinking it might be the charging port being loosened/damaged in some way or perhaps just some motherboard fault.

Any advice on steps to take to try to self repair would be much appreciated. Not sure if it's still under warranty or not but I'd assume the warranty would cover something like this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Bought a Lenovo 330S-14IKB ideapad about a year ago from box.co.uk. Was given to the mother a few months ago and it's after dieing suddenly enough now. About two days ago she went to turn it on and got nothing. Tried to plug it in and got nothing.

No indicator light when plugged in to charge, no sounds/any reaction to suggest anything going at all. Tried doing a few capacitor discharges but did nothing for it. I'm thinking it might be the charging port being loosened/damaged in some way or perhaps just some motherboard fault.

Any advice on steps to take to try to self repair would be much appreciated. Not sure if it's still under warranty or not but I'd assume the warranty would cover something like this.

Thanks!

Contact lenovo before you start taking it apart. They can check if it's under warranty and might be able to tell you what it likely is and how they can fix it. If you start doing anything with it you could void the warranty. If it's out of warranty then maybe try a local laptop repair shop.

should be 2 years for stuff sold in EU but they may try to fob you off with 1 year but stand your ground

try to see if Lenono will do something for you first. if no joy, try box

if you have to go back to box you will have to post to UK at your expense as they don't officially sell to Ireland directly

might be cheaper to use parcel motel etc to send rather than an post

https://parcelmotel.com/prices/#prices-send

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Had a call with Lenovo. Understood about 30% of what he said so asked for an email but got nothing yet. From what I gathered it'd be about 50 quid to ship and about 80 more for repair or something. Got numbers off him anyway to make more calls to chat with other departments in the whole setup.

Contacted box again then and tried to push my consumer rights. They said an independent engineer would have to proof that it is an inherent fault in the product. I'm hoping that we could just get some half technical to say " This yolk does not look like it has been abused". The father said to get in to the citizens information to get some advice to how to push em a bit to make the move to take a look at the laptop.

Had to open the laptop up to get the SSD out because the mothers needs it ASAP so hopefully that has no impact on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Removing the ssd to get files out of and presume put back in as operating system is on it.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Removing the ssd to get files out of and presume put back in as operating system is on it.

Correct

• Advertisement

Long story short, Curry's ran a test on it and motherboard is dead. What specific part, I don't know so I'm in the market for a new one if I can find one. If not, it'll be subject to my experimentation. Thinking worst case I'll pull out the ram, ssd, wlan card but is there anything else of value? Dno what to do with the actual chassis. Any value in the display of it?

better off trying to get some money or replacment back from box or lenovo

getting a replacement laptop motherboard will be the majority the cost of the laptop

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=330s+%2Bmotherboard+-screen+-spares&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_udlo=100&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_odkw=330s+%2Bmotherboard+-screen

glasso wrote: »
    better off trying to get some money or replacment back from box or lenovo

getting a replacement laptop motherboard will be the majority the cost of the laptop

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=330s+%2Bmotherboard+-screen+-spares&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_udlo=100&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_odkw=330s+%2Bmotherboard+-screen

They won't budge so partial refund/replacement is not an option

After 6 months a report can be demanded as proof of non-tampering

so your options are

1. pay for a report and push through for reimbursement for that and other repair costs through box

2. pay the fees to get it fixed

3. try yourself

==========

3. is uneconomic so that leaves you with 1. or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

So would the legal route as not up to purpose be an option to go through.?

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    After 6 months a report can be demanded as proof of non-tampering

so your options are

1. pay for a report and push through for reimbursement for that and other repair costs through box

2. pay the fees to get it fixed

3. try yourself

==========

3. is uneconomic so that leaves you with 1. or 2.

Just got in contact with some repair crew in limerick that are meant to be good. Said there might be a technician coming through where I live that could pick it up so going to go with that and see how we go

greasepalm wrote: »
    So would the legal route as not up to purpose be an option to go through.?

I've to get an engineer's report proving the fault was there within 6 months of purchase. Going with some lads in limerick to look at who seem to be fairly copped on about computers. Hopefully it's just a capacitor/DC jack or something simple gone bad

Advertisement