Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Levelling Tiny Area Of Concrete Floor?

Options
  • 26-10-2020 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

My floor is old fashioned concrete (The stuff with gravel in it) and the whole place runs downhill.

I need to level out a corner of this room for a 39" x 48" pallet. 12mm at the wall, coming back to nothing at 39" back into the room. I haven't really got a clue what I'm doing either.

Any words of wisdom, please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

So does the floor need raising or lowering ? Can you just put in some ply on timber supports of different thickness to make level ? Or are you on planning pouring a screed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Raising. It sinks away towards the back, see? I'm putting an IBC there, for my turtle. Don't want it set on a slope, obviously.

I'd thought about shimming it. But just way too much drama. Then, of course, the floor plate, set across the front edge, would be off square. I aim to box the IBC in and I'd just be setting myself up a nightmare. It'd all be crooked, start to finish.

Did some googling and chube watching. Sounds like some self levelling compound's what I need. Shouldn't need to mess about bunding it 'n all. Just feather out the top and right side ~ way from the wall. That'll under a press too.

It's just not something I've ever done before, ye see? Really just shouting out for a bit of moral support and any hints and tips anyone might have :)

:eek: Wow! Mate grabbed me two bags, today. 20Kg bags. €22.00 a piece! Glad it happens to be pension day too!

This stuff's said to only be good for up to 6mm. But, I have a scrap of post mix and half a bag of sand and cement knocking about. So, my plan now is to play the long game.

I'll use the post mix to fill the little trench, at the base of the wall. Dunno why, but, there's a sort of gap. Maybe the render's come out over the years? Dunno. Chuck the rough stuff in there though.

Then, I figure to use the S&C to take away as much of that bottom edge drop as I can.

Handy too that I'm lighting the stove, tomorrow :) This stuff likes 20c? Barely bloody 14c in here, right now!

I feel this might be an 'interesting' and 'informative' little part of this project :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You can get levelling compound that’ll do up to 50mm

So I understand, Dtp. Unfortunately, this is a case of 'Beggars can't be choosers' :(

Shop in town ~ Only shop ~ had sold out. I'm gagging to get on with the job. Mother of invention jobbie. I'll just make do with what I have.

Perhaps it will take longer / more fuss than having got on google and called in an air strike of the precise stuff? I just so Need to be doing Something :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Take a few photos !

DIY KING wrote: »
    Take a few photos !

:confused: What of? The corner of my room? Or the horrendous mess I'll likely make in it? :o

As it is, I'm keeping a photographic record of every move anyway. To show a mate of mine. For my own 'Lest We Forget' album. And, possibly, for my blog.

Right now though? There's a bloody great chest of drawers carcass blocking the entire points of interest. Need to drag that out and hoover the area next.

Well, I don't know if 'DIY King' wasn't just messing around, when asking for photo's. But, here's one that I find very germane to the situation:

Cement-Lift.jpg

That's my sand and cement mix I happened to have to hand. It's covered about 1/3 of the job, area wise. Probably about nailed it, depth wise for that part.

I packed the grooves, along the creases of wall and floor yesterday. Post mix which I also had to hand.

Now? Dark Night of the Soul situation!

I need a twelve year old, to do the calculations for me. But, by eye? I can't help thinking: Price of a few more bags of ready mix x one job, slather it down?

Vs. Mincing around, buying maybe One more bag of s&c. Bunging maybe part of this fussy stuff over that. For Why, exactly?

Do ye think I may have over thought this, lads? It's a flat patch to put a pallet on, fcs! Four foot square, in the corner of a rather practically inclined room.

Damn it. Anyone in the Carrick area do with a couple of sacks of SLC? Swap ye for a couple of bags of ready mix! :o

:eek: Oh, Wow!!! I've just this minute slung my spirit level across that. It's bang on!!! How happy am I?! :D

I'm Seriously thinking of asking my mate to grab me another little bag of ready mixed now. Save me waiting to go back to town. A living creature's waiting on this job getting done.

There! Just called him. He's going into town this afters. I'll have my muck today, and he reckons he'll find someone to give me a drink for that SLC sat in my kitchen!

Gonna make my snappy a happy chappy! :pac:

Advertisement